My local Volkswagen dealership quoted me $5,000 repairs on my vehicle, what...

Benjamin

May 20, 2008
...happens if I don't do it? - turbo and related parts due to shaft play noted internally inside turbo $2200.00 parts and labor.
- oil leak present from valve cover and camshaft seals $ 610.00.
- timing belt stretched and cracked $1260.00 includes tensioners and water pump.
- coolant murky and protection low recommend coolant tank and flush $ 167.00.
- left side brake AND TAIL LIGHTS INOP nned diagnosis $75.00.
- wiper blades worn $40.00.
- motor mounts leaking hydralic fluid $ 810.00.

This seems like a lot, and it's also a bit suspicious because I literally just replaced the wiper blades and here they are telling me they need to be replaced.
UPDATE: This is a 2004 VW Passat with 97,000 miles. I've only owned the car for about a month, but recently drove it across the US.

In my experiance, Volkswagon is notorious for racking up expenses, but they also do very good work and stand behind their work.

The wiper blades you can handle yourself. 2 clips, its not rocket science.

The turbo should be done. If that blows, you're stuck on the side of the road, and most people don't take proper care of their turbos with warm up and cool down times.

The rest of it is kind of a play by ear. How long have you owned it, how many km, and what is it worth. It sounds like they just about want to rebuild it, so id get a second opinion

Dude they are fucken trying to rip you off! I work in a community college in the Automotive program and I could do that shit for free!
Try and find a local repair shop!
When you go to a dealership they will try and take a lot of money. That's why people gotta know about there automobiles.
How the fuck did this happen? Fucken cars don't last for ever if you don't take care of it!
People Man! They don't know shit!

Turbo Fails engine won't run without "Heavy Smoke" & Screaming from Turbo, Timing Belt; Can't time it and Valve Damage if the Belt Breaks Overheating from system that needs cleaning & Bad Water Pump. $5,000 now or 12 to 15,000 After?

Dude how many miles or on that car? Did you total it? I mean thats a bunch of unrelated stuff... and I mean completely unrelated, I can't belive that much would be wrong with the car. The prices are a bit high, but hey, it is a dealership. I suggest get it fixed somewhere NORMAL where they wont rip you off. Call around and see. BTW, Wiper blades are like 20 bucks from Walmart. Not much difficulty there.

Brooo they saw you coming a mile away. The only thing I can tell you is pick your car up and take it to another shop.

Back