My boyfriend's family want me to give my dog away?

Aimee

Jun 8, 2008
They claim that it's too hard with the dog, that they had their dog first (wait, I don't live with them, what is the issue here?) that their dog is scared of mine... OK, my puppy (5 months) already weighs 16kg. She is going to be a big-ish dog. My MIL has a toy poodle. My puppy wants to play with the poodle and she scares her. It's NORMAL. It's puppy behaviour. I am in the process of training puppy but she is still very young. Thing is, I found her abandoned in a rubbish bin when she was 40 days old. She is a large mongrel, and looks a lot like a wolf. If I DID give her back to the shelter, she would end up staying there (I am in Italy and most people don't adopt big dogs). I would NEVER give her up, she is very attached to me, and I love her to peices. Is she a pain in the ***? At times. Do I sometimes have to give up on social engagements? Yes. Does she cost me a lot of money? Yes. Sleepless nights? Yes. Stress? Yes. But the love and companionship she gives are worth all of this a million times over. I am the one who looks after the dog, pays for food, vet treatment and boarding when I will be away. I am the one who takes her walks. Sccops the poop. Runs home to take her to the vet. Doesn't go out for dinner because the dog needs company and has been alone all day. Misses out on the beach because she can't come with me. I have asked then to do NOTHING to help, I even pay for a dog walker through the day rather than ask my boyfriend to let her out. So why are they complaining? I'm so angry right now, do they have the righ according to you guys?

I'm not sure I am understanding the situation.

If you don't live with them then they have absolutely no right to give your dog away. However, they do have every right to ask you not to bring your dog to their house.

But then if your boyfriend wants to see you then you surely can meet elsewhere.

If you go to his house then don't take the dog.

Seems fair enough to me.

No they dont have the bloody right. Dont take the dog to their house and tell them their dog isnt welcome in yours. Why do the two dogs even have to come in contact at all. Tell them they can shove their opinion where the sun dont shine.

The bigger issue here is why are you living with your so-called "boyfriend" in the first place (from what I can deduce from this long jumbled question) and what are the other features of this apparently ridiculous arrangement based on modern liberal "standards"?

Back