My 96 VW Jetta won't turn off?

MaximeManuel

Oct 13, 2010
Interesting question for VW fellows. I already asked this question in other forums but people misunderstood the problem I am facing. I asked it a different way this time. Non professionals, please do not make me loose my time by given me any idiot unprofessional solution like: "disconnect the car battery, unplug the distributor cable, shift on any gear and release the clutch pedal or telling me that it is an ignition switch problem...) The cause is none of the above. Look further. Please let the professionals deal with it. Do not get 2 free points out of this question for nothing. it costs me 5 points for the posting. Here are my question and the details to it:

My car:
1996 Jetta - 4 Cylinders - Fuel Injection - Stick Shift
- Problem: The car engine does not shut down after a long ride (when very hot)
- Description: After a long time running and the engine is very hot. Key is removed from the ignition key. The engine is still running roughly. All lights on the dashboard are turned off. But engine is still runing. Cooling Fans are rolling at their fastest speed. Even if I disconnect them while running, the engine still runs. The car engine may probably turn off by itself after 5 or 10 minutes.
- The problem is intermittent. It happens when the engine is hot after long running or when the AC is on after short ride. But, It does not happen necessaryly each and every time we have this described conditions. When the "not-shutting" problem happens, the gas consumption increases by half or even twice. It happens often after a long ride or a short ride with the A/C turned on (engine gets hotter and give the same problem). The water lever is ok in the reservoir tank. The pointer in the temperature gage is in the middle (which means normal).
OBD Code:
- Camshaft Sensor low voltage
- CEL light short to ground
- Idle adaptation at limit (once in a while if not cleaned every 2 months)
I beg for a solution. Please help...
Note that my fans are aumatic. They run only when engine is hot.
Please note all the non-allowed answers:
1 - disconnect the car battery, 2- unplug the distributor cable, 3 - shift on any gear and release the clutch pedal
4 - ignition switch problem
I already checked all of those.
Basically, disconnecting battery cables will never shutdown a fuel powered car is the alternator is working. Please avoid these answers. :(

There was an experiment done a while back to try to avoid engine overheat seisures. It would make it so the engine would run with full fans after shutoff to allow it to cool down enough to avoid the problem. Yours could be one of those few. It could be malfunctioning, or working properly. You could always remove the battery cable without touching the metal to shut it down, but if there is an overheat problem you might want to find out first.

Back