Mom taking a first time vacation to Orlando Florida with a 16,13, and 7 year old?

Jennifer

May 13, 2008
Hi everyone! I would love some advice or feedback on this one...
I'm planning a vacation for myself, and three kids. 16 and 13 year old step kids and 7 year old son (my own) for beginning of December 2012. Looking online tonight and looking at packages for flights, hotel, and tickets has been super overwhelming but it's exciting too, looking at all the different fun options we have.
My questions and concerns are....
1. This is my first time taking a long travel trip (from California to Orlando) on a plane with kids, first time the kids have been on a plane too.....is this a stupid choice or should I plan a vacation closer to our area? I am the biggest worrier...,and wonder if its safe enough for the kids to be traveling..(they are older and pretty mature for their ages...not toddlers...but I question everything and worry a lot)
2. Do the step kids require ID for boarding planes? Or is showing my ID ok for them? Would school ID work maybe?
3. Anyone have any ideas or links to the best travel deals? I've spent hours looking today... Ugh! So overwhelmed! We would like to visit Disney world, universal (both island adventure and universal studios) would this be too much to do in a week long stay? Also, is it cheaper to do taxi or rent a car? It would be great to get some referrals as to where to get some vacation booking help...hopefully wont cost anything over $3000 for flight, hotel , tickets etc ...what do you all think?
Wow... So many questions! Sorry, hope i didn't overwhelm anyone!
I would appreciate any input....first time planning, first time traveling this far, on a plane with kids, and first time in Florida myself.
Thanks everyone!

Back