Mike Trout picks a side in baseball's bat flipping debate

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
There's a reason we've never seen Los Angeles Angels superstar Mike Trout punctuate one of his many memorable home runs with an equally epic bat flip. He's not a fan of the practice, or anything else for that matter that might be construed as showing up an opponent.
Speaking to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Trout made it clear that bat flipping in celebration of a home run or another important hit “definitely would be” showing up the pitcher, and if he were in the pitcher's position, “I’d be pretty upset.”
[2016 Yahoo Fantasy Baseball is open for business. Sign up now]
It's interesting hearing these comments from Trout, because they further highlight the difference in personalities between himself and the similarly dynamic Bryce Harper. While the bombastic Harper isn't shy about celebrating a home run or bringing some flair to the field, the laid-back Trout prefers to stay humble and true to the lessons his parents taught him growing up.
"I just keep it the same," Trout said. "I don't try to show anybody up. Whatever somebody else does, that's what they do."
“I go out there and try to respect the game. I go out there and play. My parents always taught me to be humble.”
Trout did admit to goofing around and honing his bat flipping skills in batting practice, but that's the extent of it. So if you want to see where Trout ranks in that realm, you'll have to get to the ballpark early. Otherwise, you'll just have to settle for being wowed by the distance Trout can hit a baseball, rather than his showmanship.
And really, nobody should have a problem with Trout feeling that way. Just because he's on polar opposite ends of this debate from Harper, that doesn't necessarily mean one or the other has to be wrong. It's a personal preference, and that difference in personality actually adds layers to the debates we'll be having and the comparisons we'll be making about them for the next 50 years.
[Elsewhere: MLB won't suspend Yasiel Puig under domestic violence policy]
We know the reasons why Harper is for adding flair. He wants to bring more energy, more excitement and ultimately more eyes to the game by showing that players have an emotional investment every day. He's not wrong for wanting that.*And now we know why Trout is more comfortable dropping his bat and running like he expects to succeed every time he connects. His reasons aren't wrong either.
There's room for both types of players and personalities in the game, and Trout acknowledged that by noting he's not worried about what others are doing. As much as we want to see players let loose and show emotion, the most important thing is that they're comfortable just being themselves
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813

Back