Mike Gundy: My 2011 OSU team would have beaten LSU by 3 TDs

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
If someone is building a hypothetical college football matchup time machine, we've got another game to put on the list to be played if it ever gets fully developed.
In an interview with the Tulsa World, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said he's confident his 2011 Cowboys team would have a good shot against 2011 LSU. How good? Well, we'll let Gundy speak for himself.
If OSU’s 2011 Big 12 championship team had been matched with LSU in the BCS title game, Gundy said, “I don’t think there’s any question that we would have won by three touchdowns. ... We could score with anybody.”
Oklahoma State was a contender for for the national title that season until the Cowboys lost at Iowa State on a Friday night. The Cyclones finished the year 3-6 in the conference and 6-7 overall.
LSU lost the 2011 BCS Championship to Alabama. The Tigers beat the Crimson Tide earlier in the season, but Alabama was the beneficiary of OSU's misfortune and moved up to the No. 2 spot in the standings while the Cowboys ended at No. 3. Alabama beat LSU 21-0 in the much-talked-about SEC showdown while Oklahoma State beat Stanford 41-38 in the Fiesta Bowl.
Do you think Gundy is right? His offense was led by quarterback Brandon Weeden and wide receiver Justin Blackmon while LSU's defense featured Tyrann Mathieu, Eric Reid and Morris Claiborne in the secondary. It's certainly an intriguing matchup and probably one that would end up coming down to the supremacy of either LSU's offense or OSU's defense, the lesser units for both teams.
Gundy's comments came as part of an interview marking his 10 years as coach at the school. He was asked about the very light penalties the football program received as part of an NCAA investigation following a Sports Illustrated series. Gundy, now a man at 47, said he'll comment whenever he's retired.
"Whenever I’m finished coaching, then I’ll really comment on what I feel. ... We should be doing cartwheels, really.”
For more Oklahoma State news, visit O-StateIllustrated.com.
- - - - - - -
Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @NickBromberg

Back