Mazda B2500 Truck (Fuel) Problems - HELP?

ajandmac

Sep 14, 2008
1998 Mazda B2500 - 5 spd clutch - Fuel Injected (no carburetor)

Currently will not stay running.

First Incident: Sputtered to a stop in a parking lot, acted exactly like it was out of fuel even though gas gauge said 1/4 tank. Eventually started again after sitting for approximately 20 minutes, drove for a bit and then acted like it was running out of gas again, and sputtered to a stop. Did this several times on my way to the gas station, me pushing the gas pedal only to find there was suddenly no forward motion, and the sputter sound was back. Put about 3 gallons into the fuel tank, and it started right up and ran fine for three months, and I assumed the gas gauge was broken and began setting my mileage on each fill.

Second Incident: Gas gauge has been keeping up with the mileage perfectly. Sputtered to a stop just as described above, except with a 1/2 tank of gas (not just by gas gauge, but by mileage) and in a parking lot. Restarted and drove about 5 feet, then sputtered to a stop again and would not start.

-We checked the spark plugs, and made sure we had a fire in the ignition. All good.
-We checked and tested all fuses, including the relay, fuel injection, ignition, fuel pump fuses. All good.
-We checked to see if the fuel pump clicked on upon turning the ignition switch to 'on' - All good.
-We dumped a bit of fuel into the intake through the engine, and the truck started just fine, but sputtered to a stop within seconds (as soon as the little bit of fuel we dumped in ran out).

-The ignition seems to be working, but there seems to be a disconnect between the fuel in the tank, and it getting injected.

Thinking of replacing the fuel filter, cleaning the fuel injectors, etc.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Things I'm not thinking of?

THANK YOU.
Truck Model is basically a Ford Ranger if that helps.

check the fuel filter-check that the fuel shutoff reset switch is good and not cutting out intermittently-check the power to the fuel pump is constant( even tho it makes clicking sound ) check that the pick up tube on the fuel pump in the tank is reaching all the way to bottom of tank ( have been known to break or fall off )

Back