Logitech UE Megaboom wireless speaker review

Geek

Jun 6, 2008
You are out and about with your smartphone and decided to throw a tailgate party. But the sound is tiny. Luckily, Logitech UE Megaboom*is one heavy sound machine that can last a day long party.The Logitech UE Megaboom is a Bluetooth-enabled, 20 hour battery operated standalone speaker with 360 degree coverage.*
With two 2" drivers and two 2” x 4” passive radiators it can drive up to a maximum of 90dBA within a frequency range of 65Hz - 20kHz.
blog4ba13831e8a901be95c05709c091b4d2.jpg

blogf23851dfd12c1a3123ec448d9f1332cb.jpg
Its long life battery is easily recharged*thanks to a micro USB port - which is just next to a* 3.5 mm audio*input just in case you have an old fashioned audio source.
You can also easily attach the*Logitech UE Megaboom to a tripod for better positioning.
You can pair up to eight different devices via Bluetooth and thanks to its support for the Bluetooth Handsfree Profile you can also answer your phone calls using it as a speakerphone - a giant one.
Bluetooth pairing can be done either by the old fashioned "Bluetooth scan" or if you have a NFC-enabled smartphone you need only to touch the devices (closer to the power button on the top) to have them automatically paired and ready for action.
Logitech also makes available a mobile app (for Android and iOS) that allows you to*configure the speaker with a custom equaliser - or using presets. The*Logitech UE Megaboom has an upgradeable firmware so new functionality can be added later on.
Using the mobile app you can easily connect two*Logitech UE Megaboom to a single smartphone and use them together for better sound*coverage.
I did use the speakers with my smartphone, but I was most interested in having it*paired with my*Amazon Fire TV (a new firmware allows the AFTV to work with Bluetooth A2DP-enabled headphones and speaker). Changing*the equaliser to a setting that gives*more*bass and voice clarity from movies and TV episodes made it much nicer to watch movies. Put one of these behind the TV and it's an incredible way of getting a*much better experience at home short of investing in a much pricier home theatre setup.
The micro USB input is at the bottom of the speaker, just next to the tripod adapter (tripod not included) - which makes it hard for having it permanently wired for power. Not a big deal if you consider you can have it fully charged in around two and half hours, giving you those 20 hours of*sound for a TV binge marathon. You can easily check the battery level by pushing the + and - buttons simultaneously - the same buttons you can use to control volume.
The micro USB port and*3.5 mm audio*input are protected by a rubber pad - and that's because the*Logitech UE Megaboom is IP77 rated, meaning it can*be immersed in liquid up to 1m for up to 30 minutes - not that I tested that claim though.
At almost 900g is not a light device, but it's not something that you carry around during a party. Really recommended.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Back