Late rally gets the Astros back to their winning ways

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada

Take a look around the league with Big League Stew's daily wrap up. We'll hit on all of the biggest moments from the day that you may have missed, while providing highlights, photos and interesting stats.

After dropping three straight games against the Texas Rangers, the Houston Astros got back to their winning ways Thursday.
It wasn't easy, as the Astros had to mount a comeback against Los Angeles Angels closer Huston Street. Street entered in the top of the ninth looking to preserve a two-run lead. The Astros refused to go quietly.
Street fell into trouble immediately. After giving up two straight singles to start the inning, he managed to pick up his first out against Jason Castro. His success wouldn't last.*
Jake Marisnick added an RBI single in the next at-bat, and Preston Tucker tied the game 2-2 with an RBI single of his own.
Street then walked Jonathan Villar, bringing All-Star Jose Altuve to the plate. Altuve hit a possible double-play ball to second, but was able to beat out the throw at first. The go-ahead run would score on the play, giving the Astros a 3-2 lead.*
Luke Gregerson would toss a perfect bottom half of the inning, giving the Astros the victory. With the win, the team improved to 19-10 on the year.

CUTCH COMES THROUGH FOR PIRATES
A day after venting about his struggles, Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Andrew McCutchen rebounded in a big way Thursday against the Cincinnati Reds.
On Wednesday, McCutchen told Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he wasn't going to make excuses for his poor performance.
McCutchen said he did not think the soreness in his left knee that has persisted in some form since spring training was affecting his performance.
“I can’t sit here and say my knee is the reason or something like that,” McCutchen said. “I don’t believe so. I just believe that I’m just a little off, and that’s all that it is. Just getting myself back there because I’m sick and tired of going oh for freaking four.”
He seemed to figure out those issues Thursday. McCutchen went 3 for 4, with two runs scored and an RBI during the game. He also walked and stole his first base of the season.
The Pirates would go on to win the contest 7-2. The win broke the team's five-game losing streak.

KLUBER CAN'T GET IT GOING
Reigning Cy Young winner Corey Kluber had another tough start Thursday against the Kansas City Royals.
Kluber allowed five runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings. He struck out seven and walked two during the outing.*
Nearly all of Kluber's issues happened in the first inning. After hitting Alex Gordon, Kluber gave up an RBI single to Mike Moustakas. Lorenzo Cain followed that up with a single, setting the stage for Eric Hosmer.
With two men on base, Hosmer launched a 95 mph sinker out to right center for the three-run shot. By the time the first inning had ended, Kluber was already in the hole 4-0.
Kluber settled in and pitched well over the remainder of the start, but the damage had already been done.
After a fantastic finish to 2014, Kluber has not been able to get things going in 2015.*
in seven starts, Corey Kluber has allowed 28 runs, which is as many runs as he allowed last year in his final 18 starts
— Jeff Sullivan (@based_ball) May 7, 2015
Through seven starts, Kluber has a 5.04 ERA. He had a 2.44 ERA over 235 2/3 innings last season.

RUBBY TOSSES A GEM
Arizona Diamondbacks starter Rubby De La Rosa turned in an excellent start Thursday against the San Diego Padres.
De La Rosa tossed seven scoreless innings, giving up just three hits. He walked two and struck out seven during the outing.*
He was able to hold the Padres' trio of outfielders in check. Wil Myers, Matt Kemp and Justin Upton combined to go just 1 for 8 against De La Rosa.*
After coming over in the Wade Miley deal, De La Rosa was expected to receive a bigger role with Arizona. He's shown flashes of brilliance in the past, but has been handled with kid gloves after having Tommy John surgery in 2011.
[Check out Big League Stew on Tumblr for even more baseball awesomeness.]
If Thursday was any indication, De La Rosa may finally be ready to live up to his early promise. The Diamondbacks went on to win the contest 11-0. De La Rosa improved to 3-2 following the start.
Want to see more from Tuesday's slate of games? Check out*our scoreboard.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Follow @Chris_Cwik

Back