Lane Kiffin was notified of termination after USC arrived back to Los Angeles

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
USATSI_7462132.jpg

Details are emerging about Lane Kiffin's dismissal as USC's football coach Sunday morning, and the decision was made to fire Kiffin during the third quarter of USC's 62-41 loss to Arizona State Saturday night.
However, Kiffin was not notified of the decision until the team arrived back at Los Angeles International Airport and had boarded the team bus while it was still dark.
If just waking up, Lane Kiffin told bus driver to wait for him. #USC told bus to leave without him and go back to campus
— InsideUSC (@InsideUSC) September 29, 2013
I heard Lane Kiffin left his bag on team bus because he thought his meeting with Pat Haden would be brief and routine matter #USC — InsideUSC (@InsideUSC) September 29, 2013
One eyewitness said the poor bus driver didn't know at first whether to stay (like Lane Kiffin) wanted or go (like #USC official)
That's rough. Though in case you were wondering, Kiffin was not stranded at the airport. (The team takes a bus from the charter terminal to the parking lot, per Huston.)
Kiffin's car was at the airport. He wasn't pulled off the bus and left there.
— Chris Huston (@HeismanPundit) September 29, 2013
USC athletic director Pat Haden advised patience after USC lost to Washington State 10-7 at home and many fans in the Los Angeles Coliseum started chanting for Kiffin's dismissal.
Haden also gave Kiffin a vote of confidence in January, when he told the Los Angeles Times "I understand people disagree with me. But in my judgment, and I get paid to make the best decisions I can for USC, there's no reason that Lane Kiffin shouldn't be our coach."
Seven losses in 11 games, including an embarrassing home loss and a road blowout this season can do a lot to change an athletic director's mind. Especially in the middle of a game in a small room while the opposing team is in the midst of scoring 28 unanswered points.
Just to recap: Pat Haden summoned advisers into small room at Arizona State and decided to fire Lane Kiffin during game last night #USC
Scott Wolf's Twitter feed is full of gold this morning if you're looking for more information on Kiffin's relationships with USC staff and players. According to Wolf, Kiffin's relationship with Pete Carroll, the coach he succeeded at USC, "deteriorated" after Kiffin criticized the roster after the sanctions from Carroll's time with the Trojans. USC traveled 56 scholarship players to Arizona State on Saturday.
I still have not heard a #USC player privately say they disagreed with decision to fire Lane Kiffin — InsideUSC (@InsideUSC) September 29, 2013
What got Lane Kiffin fired? His attitude changed after 2011's 11-2 season. Became even more arrogant, alienated many people #USC
According to Wolf, the leading candidate for interim head coach of USC is Ed Orgeron, the former Ole Miss head coach who was an assistant at USC before he took the job with the Rebels. After being fired from Ole Miss, Orgeron is currently the defensive line coach and recruiting coordinator for USC.
- - -
Want to join the conversation? Hit us up on Twitter @YahooDrSaturday. Be sure to "Like" Dr. Saturday on Facebook for football conversations and stuff you won't see on the blog.

Back