Is there a way to correct my distributor after engine fan was turned without

mustang

May 18, 2008
distributor mounted on? Was replacing head gaskets on my 68 Mustang, 289, AT, with AC but not hooked up (no belt on pulleys & removed compressor). Had to remove the bracket that holds the power steering pump because the screw that holds it in place (which also attaches to the right cylinder head) wouldn't easily come off. So my father in law was helping and since we didn't have much room to pull out the power steering pump toward the radiator, because the fan was in the way, he moved one of the fan blades out of the way just as I said, "NOOOOOO.... shi*." So I saw the pistons move and I know I had read somewhere not to turn the engine in any way while the distributor is not installed. So I'm pretty sure this moved the gear to where the distributor attaches and now I'm not sure how to put the distributor back on. Before this all happened I had marked the intake manifold and distributor with a sharpie just to know where it should align to, but since I now installed a new intake manifold AND the whole turning of the fan (clockwise), I don't know what to do or if I should worry too much or what... I'm open to links to figure out what to do myself, but from searching I haven't found too many, plus this is the first time I take on such a "big" project as far as mechanics are concerned. I know very very little of timing, as in nothing. I am familiar with the term and know it goes hand in hand with distributors, but no clue as to what to do next. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Back