Is there a branch of Christianity where all the people do is try to act like Christ?

Kes1

Apr 21, 2008
Ghandi said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

I thought I heard or read somewhere that the definition of a Christian is one who strives to follow and act like Christ. Very few people do that. Instead they deified him and regarded him as a god that can lead you to eternal life, so it seems like people follow him for selfish reasons, which is entirely apart from what Jesus teaches.

The entire rest of the Bible is full of crazy rules and fuels prejudices of people who harbor all kinds of hate, but I haven't yet read anything that Jesus said that I disagree with. I think if Christianty were to be purified and follow only what Christ himself said, Christians would become great people and it would leave behind the fundamentalisms that turn off so many people and yet be superior to atheistic views which can sometimes promote selfish behavior in the absence of a God.

I believe that what Jesus taught was to love each other to the point where you would give them anything, and everything that you had. He accepted that not everyone could do it to the point at which he did it, but the core principles he taught were sound. If we loved and accepted everyone without need for a reward, and did for them that which we would wish were done for us, it would be extremely awesome!!!

Is there a Christian religion branch like this? I want to join it.
@Paul: You're an example of someone who deifies Christ and uses him to selfishly try to get to heaven. I think your view is so prevalent because during the Dark Ages people sought the afterlife as a haven from their misery, and its nice to think that you're going to heaven along with the people that you like, while the people you hate are going to hell. I think your view of Jesus is wrong, and you should view him as a wise wise man whose words you should listen to and not as a god who can send you to heaven if you suck up to him long enough.

The definition of a Christian, is one who believes in Jesus for salvation, knows that they are going to heaven all and only because of JESUS! Jesus is God and Messiah, and Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and then Jesus rose from the dead! Jesus is the only way to heaven.

Works and good deeds cannot get you into heaven, since works and good deeds cannot pay for any of your sins.

"The entire rest of the Bible is full of crazy rule"... If Y'shua came in the name of the Father, wouldn't He also advocate the rest of Scriptures including Torah and the prophets? "For I did not come to destroy the Law and the Prophets [...]". So yes, the rest of the Bible is important. If someone is a true Christian, they will love God, obey His commands, and because of loving and knowing God would also love people. "And you will know them by their fruits".

Christians are inconsistent.

That's sad but true.

Each of us should strive to be like Christ.

Back