Is atheism a type of religion?

edwinj

Sep 3, 2008
I mean it is a type of dogma yes? Religion is defined by wikipedia as "a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values. Many religions have narratives, symbols, traditions and sacred histories that are intended to give meaning to life or to explain the origin of life or the universe." Granted athiesm doesnt have symbols, traditions etc but they do say that the Big bang started the universe no?

As those that are religious believe in god. Atheists refuse to believe in anything. I am personally agnostic. So if you could prove to me a God exists I would know. I don't like belief. Belief lacks a basis of truth. When I was a kid I used to believe in Santa Claus now i don't. When I was a teenager I used to believe in the goodness of man now I don't. Belief implies that it can be proven wrong. As it is atheists believe there is no God, and because they most certainly cant prove it, is that a type of religion? A dogma? And before you atheists start bashing realize I am agnostic although I am doubtful of the existence of some of the Gods that people worship. I am not so knowledgeable or arrogant to believe that such a being doesn't or cannot exist. This is just a question created because of curiosity not by malicious intent. So if any of my statements are wrong please correct me and give me a detailed explanation. Thank you.

Considering the overwhelming evidence of a well-planned universe,it takes an astonishing amount of faith to believe that all of nature was created by pure accident.:crazy eyes:

Back