Is an amp necessary for a good car audio system?

RaymondC

Jun 8, 2008
I want to upgrade my car audio system for my 2001 Honda Civic coupe.
I don't want overpowering bass and I don't plan to blast my music either. I just want good clarity and good sound that can still offer good volume. I was just wondering if I can get by without an amp and still have good sound with a strong head unit. My dad's 2002 Acura TL has a pioneer head unit and no amp but still produces good sound for all four Bose speakers and can handle loud volumes even with a sub so that's why I'm asking. Eveyone out there is saying that an amp is necessary but I'm doubting it.

Good is relative. Meaning some people will think that their stock system in their 95 ford ranger sounds good...others only think a system sounds good if it contains several thousand dollars worth of high-end equipment. So like I said, good is relative.

Having said that, you could get sound that I (and most people) would consider good without an amp. A quality headunit and some quality aftermaket speakers will give you a system that most people would think is good. But that doesn't mean that a quality amp won't make it better. Even if you're not planning to blast your music, an amp (good amp) will give you crisper highs, greater clarity and more detail (with a pair of good component speakers, a quality amp can make a HUGE difference.

Do you need an amp? No. But would a quality amp make a noticable improvement on your system? Yes.

If your head unit pushes over 100 watts, then you can get some really good sound. Bose Speakers are top of the line for a reason, they thump! Look into some alpine or JL audio speakers as well.

Back