i'm on the high school wrestling team i want to learn a grappling combat sport?

BrandonH

May 13, 2008
which one should i learn i got it down to 3
Sambo
Hapkido
Judo
hope fully even though i'm just now starting the 9th grade this year i wanna be prpared because hopefull i woul like to be in the ufc or ifl one day

This depends upon what you plan to do with the sport, eventually.

*Sambo's pretty cool, and hapkido rocks, but they incorporate punches and kicks; and these are forbidden in interscholastic wrestling competition.

**This WOULD come in quite handy in a real-world situation later on in life, however (so learning these styles would be kinda' like "killing two birds with one stone").

*Judo's also a lot of fun, but they emphasize throwing, something not allowed in interscholastic wrestling competition (unless at least one of your knees is on the mat, as I seem to recall).

**There IS a matwork component in Judo, and learning this could be quite beneficial for your wrestling. Remember that Judo also allows joint bars and chokes; forbidden in wrestling competition.

*I would recommend either the Judo, Sambo (remember the "two birds" analogy?), or Jiu Jitsu.

*Jiu Jitsu rocks, it emphasizes grappling, and tends to be mostly groundwork oriented.

**It's not EXACTLY like wrestling (i.e., you;re wearing a gi -which generates more torque-, chokes and arm bars are allowed, and submissions are not based upon "pins", but this art tends to emphasize grappling the most of the above selections which I've briefly discussed.

Best wishes on your wrestling career, I hope this helps.

Back