If I buy an iPhone in the U.S. and then move to Japan, could I get it to work on...

willnyu1982

Feb 15, 2008
...the networks there? Gonna be in the U.S. for about 2 1/2 more years, so my iPhone contract would be up before I go, but I'm wondering if I could keep the phone and use it on a Japanese network. I know they sell iPhones in Japan now, but didn't know how this would work.

they sold them there a year before they had them in the US.
It should work over there, but just know that in Japan the technology is about 1-2 years ahead. So it might not be compatible with their networks. I'd suggest just selling it before you leave and buy a new one in Japan, just to assure that its compatible and up to date with their technology.

Short answer is yes, but I don't know how many GSM networks are in Japan. Like another person said, Japan is way ahead of us in the mobile area, if they have the iPhone over there it will work over there, I wouldn't be sure on the coverage. It won't be anything like the US.

Short answer is yes, but I don't know how many GSM networks are in Japan. Like another person said, Japan is way ahead of us in the mobile area, if they have the iPhone over there it will work over there, I wouldn't be sure on the coverage. It won't be anything like the US.

Back