I really need some help with breaking my horse...

McKenzieW

Aug 2, 2008
Just recently, I bought a 3 year old filly. The previous owner had worked with her for about a month on the basics of riding, then, I came along and bought her.

The previous owner never really rode one on one with her. She has only had to follow other horses around when being rode, (turn when they turn, whoa when they whoa), so she doesn't know basic commands and depends on someone to lead her in order for her to obey turns and stops. She allows having someone on her back, but doesn't respond to the rider.

I have been working with her for a while, and she doesn't respond at all to a bridle. In fact, she tends to throw her head into the air and rear up when even so much as a little pressure is applied to the reins or bridle. She is a danger to ride, period. I have been thrown from her many times, and the person who has to lead her has also gotten injured. I don't want to give up on her learning whoa and turns, but my parents won't allow me to send her to a trainer, or to allow the previous owner to take her back (he has offered to take her back).

I wanted a horse to enjoy riding and caring for, but she is too much.
She is also a danger when leading with a halter, and just like the bridle, when any pressure is applied to the halter, she throws her head into the air and rears. She refuses to be tied and runs over me when leading her out of the stall. She is a big problem, but I can't just get rid of her. I really need help, and a trainer is out of the question, so...what can I do?

Please help!!!

Back