Hyundai elantra 2003: Transmission noise?

HPL

Jul 21, 2008
My 2003 Elantra with automatic transmission makes a strange noise (like a snarl or rattle) for 1-2 seconds after shifting gears up or down. This happens frequently but not always. There is also often a slight kick or hiccup when shifting gears. What could cause these problems?
Thanks for your answers. I bought the car used in February. The noise was there from the beginning, but I think it's getting worse.

Sure, get a Honda and the wheels may come off or the brake lights may not come on during braking. http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/honda/honda_civic.htm
No car is perfect.

Anyway, as Ginger said you really can't tell what's going on without dropping the trans and looking in it.
If you are under 60,000 miles even as the second owner you may still be under warranty. The dealer may cut you a break if your just past the years or miles (dealer may cut some miles off the numbers to help you).
If there are TSB's the dealer will know what to do but keep in mind TSB's aren't recalls. If it's an older one you may have to pay for the repair.
Good Luck.

Back