How's this for a gas tax holiday? ¢12 per gallon gasoline?

• Thread starter Freddie Adu About Nothing
  • Start date
F

Freddie Adu About Nothing

In Venezuela gas is ¢12 per gallon. That amounts to a federal subsidy of about $2.00 per gallon of gasoline. So, that means plenty of economists in Chavez' government support a gas tax holiday (subsidy). Maybe someone should tell Clinton and Obama where the economists that support this idea are.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/

"Does it work?" is the question.
I didn't say I agreed. In fact I very much disagree with the idea. I would actually support a gas tax increase to whatever level it took to get us to cut at least 10% of our consumption.

We are capitalists, but we still subsidize Florida sugar growers and other farmers who can't compete....effectively impoverishing farmers in the Caribbean. I don't agree with that either.
Cookie - the VALUE of oil is $116/barrel. That is about $2.70 per gallon. Charge the regular price and then give the money back to the people - that would not be a subsidy because they can choose how to spend it. Subsidizing gas and pretending that those gallons can't fetch $2.70 is silly.....let the people choose how to spend it and if they want to consume petroleum at market value.

Back