how to i persuade my parents to let me have a sport bike?!?!?

brandyn1

Jul 12, 2009
Okay so I really want to get a sport bike. I am 18 years old with a job and I go to college. I pay ALL of my insurance and gas (my parents have never filled me up). I pay around $130 a month for insurance and $200 a month for gas. The college I go to is filled with bikes and i really want one. Even though I pay for all my insurance and gas and i would buy the bike with my own money they still wont let me have one "til i move out of the house"

So my question to you all is want would you do in my situation? I have had three different dirt bikes over the last 11 years and currently have a CR250 that I kick butt with, so I am very experienced when it comes to dirt and a little experienced ridding on the street. I am very familiar with the rules of the road and have never gotten a ticket or been in an accident yet.

When you have your own house, it will be YOUR turn. You can live by YOUR rules then.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do in this situation to convince your parents if they are steadfast on the issue. Motorcycles, sports bikes in particular, have a much higher fatality rate than cars (approximately six times higher according to a study in 2008). Unfortunately, that is just fact. Although, if it helps, motorcycle riders are statistically less likely to get into accidents. It's just that when they do, they're much more dangerous than a car.

Being 18 and considering that you pay your own way, there's nothing your parents can technically do to stop you getting your own bike. However, at this point, it's really a matter of respecting your parents' wishes while you live in their home. Once you move out, you can do what ever you choose.

You could say you have moved out and into collage but they might say well than we are not paying for it. Than your SOL

so I am very experienced when it comes to dirt and a little experienced ridding on the street. I am very familiar with the rules of the road and have never gotten a ticket or been in an accident yet.

& all this means to me is that you have been lucky....

BUT.. first off.. look at the cost of insurance for a new road rider on a sports bike... this may change your mind.. would think the insurance would be astronomical...

Good thing about sport-motorcycles is they move fast and easy.
Bad thing is they don't carry a lot of personal gear, like a bed but maybe a hairbrush/toothbrush.
So get used to brushing a lot, sleep is optional!

Back