How do I turn the headlights off and only the parking lights on in a 2000...

redw

Jan 9, 2009
...Chevrolet Silverado 1500? I have a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 pickup truck and at night time the automatic headlights turn on. Once they come on, i have no control over my headlights. I can turn the switch to full headlights or just parking lights and nothing happens. In order for me to cut the headlights and just go to parking lights, i have to turn the truck off. Is there a way to set it so that even after the auto headlights take over, i can turn on ONLY the parking lights?
i wanna turn my lights off because we move cars around my driveway when me and my parents come home from work and i need to sit there with my lights off so i dont blind the other cars moving. and i dont wanna be turning my car on and off over and over just to move it.

That vehicle has daytime running lights wired in, you cannot turn off the headlamps if the vehicle is running. Just pull it out to the side and point away from the others, or redo the parking situation so this daily ritual can be ended.

I don't think there is any way to over ride the auto headlights on a silverado.

2 ways i can suggest

one is slightly apply the emergency brake while in park not enough to hold the truck but enough to keep the lights from coming on then pull in gear and move it

another and i am not 110% positive it worked on the 2000 model trucks but does on newer ones is push your dome light button next to your headlight switch that keeps it from on when you open the doors.....you have to cycle the button in then out 4 times so actually you should press it 8 times and there should be a ding and they turn off....however once you cut the car off then back this function is reset so you will have to do it again

Back