How can I haggle the price on a new 2009 honda fit with navigation from a dealership?

forgiven

Mar 14, 2009
I went to a Honda and a Toyota dealership to test drive the yaris and fit. Salesman #1 at Honda was hardly friendly - but atleast made the effort to halfheartedly sell the car and let me test drive it.

Salesguy #2 at Toyota fervently apologized and blew me off after getting paged by his general manager to sign his check = no test drive.

Even though my personal preference is Toyota over Honda, I know the Honda is more reliable, safe, and freeway-friendly (after researching articles, consumer reports, and reviews). So I've made the decision to push aside personal preferences, including the preference of the yaris's look over the fit, to get the 2009 Honda fit with navigation.

Basically I want to haggle the price of everything to under $20,000 (including fees and taxes), hoping to get an invoice price of atleast $17,300 for this car (is this reasonable? is it possible to get it lower or not?)

The honda salesman informed me that a new 2009 fit sport with navigation would be $19,360. Beforehand, I got an offer (from the same dealership) for $18,625 over the internet by their internet sales manager. However, I'm not satisfied with this and want to get it down to the $17,000-range.

Can anyone give me advice on how to go about getting the best deal possible from a dealership for a new car, despite the fact that I am a female, and fairly young at that (college aged)? Does the fact that I could pay fully in cash count for anything?
I dont want a kia, It's either toyota or honda, period.
thanks Rod
Curfo - I like your advice.

However, any kind of sattelite navigation is a must. Have used maps before and ended up getting lost with one anyway. self proclaimed direction - (pardon me for using this word loosely) retarded...plus I travel by myself frequently.
(That one guy) i don't think there is anything wrong with buying a used car at all. My sister bought a used 2005 avalanche that was beautiful, but after just a year and a half and 13,000 dollars later, turned out they sold her and my mom something with a bad transmission. She lost alot money.
So that's why I'd prefer to invest in a new car.

Ignore the salesmans call until the end of the Month, March 30. Go there with an older male friend and give the salesman your final offer. If they turn it down, walk away and wait for them to call.

Theres a high probability, that they will call you March 31st and take your offer. Good luck!

Back