How can I call my mother and not discuss politics?

christhescribe

Sep 6, 2012
Mom insists I call once a week; I'm 40 years old with a family 3 hours from her. If I don't call, she insists that I don't care about her, not concerned about her--blah blah (and my brother is much more caring than me). My brother is just needier than me.

I do the same thing every week; the kids and job are the same. But I call. Now, mom has a boyfriend heavily into politics. I am not into politics and don't want to have my thoughts examined and criticized by anyone.

So conversations that used to be about my kids are now about politics. I've told mom in every way I know how I'm not following the race any more than I would a horse race and if she wants to hear about the kids and such okay; but if she continues on her political agenda I am opting out of the phone calls.

What else can I do to not feel like she is pushing me around? I get roped into saying things I don't want to say; but if I stop calling, our relationship will suffer. Help!

Say something profound that will intimidate them. Something like:

"Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates."

That's from Gore Vidal. And it should shut most people up.

Back