Honda Fit vs. Mazda 5; what do you think?

cpair391

Jul 8, 2008
So here's a little decision for anyone interested in tackling it. I'm buying a new car, because my 1994 Civic is costing me money and just doesn't cut it for camping trips. I'm currently a film student and am about 3 months from graduation, so the buying timeframe would be 3-10 months from now.

There are two vehicles I'm interested in; the Mazda5 and the Honda Fit (2009).

With the previous model fit, the decision was easy, as I prefer the 5 over the older Fit, but looking at the new model it's made my decision a lot harder...

So, I'm single and live in the city on a somewhat limited budget (not starving, but money isn't falling out of my ass) However I also make fairly lengthy trips to see my parents 14 hours away on a regular basis, I like going camping as often as I can and hopefully next year I will also have a surfboard to cart around. This and the fact that my career will involve the occasional transport of people and/or gear, makes the Mazda5 very appealing- especially since I like minivans and can't afford a V6 engine. I the performance is a nice step up, as I found the Fit to be juuust a bit laggy on acceleration.

My mom already has a Fit and I've been very impressed when I've driven it, and now that all of the little annoyances have been fixed, the fact that I can save roughly $6,000 and 10 more MPG then the 5 is making me think more toward that...

So here are the models:
2009 Mazda 5 GT Automatic Trans in Pearl White: $26,130.00 CDN
2009 Honda Fit Sport Automatic Trans in Taffeta White: $21,000.00 CDN(ish)

Just to be clear, I do like the look of the Mazda 5 a little more, but the appearance will in the end have little to do with the choice

Any Suggestions?
Thanks!!

Back