Hit and run at Taco Bell, no real damage - what to do?

MarkP

Jun 7, 2008
I was in the Taco Bell late night drive through and a car backed up into me trying to reverse out of the lane instead of going forward the normal way. After he hit me I backed up a bit more and the other guy got out of his car. I got out as well. It was some young kid, he looked at his car and glanced at mine said "looks like nothing is wrong" got in his car and drove off before I could say anything.

I didn't get a chance to ask for his information or really inspect his car or mine. Does this constitute a hit and run? I am not sure of the cost of damage but I doubt it is much. You can see that the front license plate is visibly dented. I suspect he was going 5-10mph as I have been tapped into before in drive thru's without such a violent impact.

I normally wouldn't bother because most people are polite and won't drive off. However, there is proof that this happened as it was at a Taco Bell where the employees witnessed it and I am sure there are some sort of outside cameras.

On the plus side, I did get his license plate. I also went to the police station and they gave me a report to fill out only if the damage was greater than $1000 which I don't think it is.

So what is my play?
I had no chance to get a word in. The entire exchange was literally 5 seconds. He got out, said like 5 words, got back in and drove off. I guess I could have yelled after him but I really didn't expect him to just leave.

I didn't even get to look at my car before he left.

Back