Help! Key Stuck in Ignition of 2007 Pontiac G5 Coupe?

Janu

Jul 30, 2008
The car was driven yesterday afternoon and I attempted to start it this morning. The remote did not work so used the key to open door, put key in ignition and attempted to turn the car over...battery completely dead, no clicking noises or anything. It did not appear that the dome light or headlights, etc. had been left on. When I tried to remove the key from the ignition, it would not move into the "off" position. It will move between acc, on and start. The steering wheel is not locked, the shifter is firmly in park and cannot be moved from park.

A mechanic friend of mine tried to figure out the problem, too. Said he'd never seen that before (he's in his early 20's so his experience is limited...still knows far more than I do), but that the entire steering column may have to be taken apart. Before we go through the hassle and expense...could the problem be solved by charging the battery? Perhaps an electrical connection is loose and the interlock between the shifter and the ignition isn't registering? Or does the problem lie within the ignition tumbler? Would greatly appreciate any help.

Also...it's about 14 degrees F here, could the excessive cold be a cause?

Back