Fuel System Failure on 1998 Acura Integra?

ohthankheaven477

Apr 17, 2013
I've been having some trouble with my 1998 Acura Integra LS. I'm the 2nd owner, it has 160k miles, and it is all original and has not been "tricked out" or anything before anyone jumps to conclusions about how it's been driven.

I recently repaired a bad ground in the electrical system and replaced the alternator. Prior to replacing the alternator, the check engine light had come on with the p0420 code. Afterwards the light was off and the car seemed fine. Two weeks after the replacement, roughly the beginning of March, the light came back on. Also my maintenance light would flash 10 times every time I started the car. I was told that this is the dummy light for oil changes. I've noticed the car running with a bit less power than usual, shifting a little rough (it's an automatic), and idling just a little rough. The RPMs always stay around 1 when I'm in idle or park.

The oil in my car was changed 4 weeks ago and I haven't put 500 miles on it since. When I got the oil changed, I was offered the usual routine maintenance stuff like "change spark plugs" and "rotate tires" and things that I didn't need done, so I declined. When I got home, I noticed my receipt said "fuel system failure - required" in red. No one at the shop mentioned this to me. I had to fly out of town for a business trip the following day, and for a week, so I figured I would deal with it later. I did a fuel injector cleaner that night at the gas station, just in case.

I've been too swamped with work and school to make it back over, but now my maintenance light is fully lit and no longer blinks upon start up. Today when I was going to leave the grocery store, my car would not start. It turned over and cranked momentarily before immediately giving out. I tried it 5 times and then eventually got it to start after pressing the gas a little. Fuel wise, I have half a tank.

I'm a poor college student and I'm still waiting on reimbursement from my trip. I've never had a fuel issue with any car, so I'm not sure what to expect. From my symptoms, is it likely just the o2 sensor or fuel filter or does it sound like a larger problem with a fuel injector, pump, or catalytic convertor?

Any suggestions, advice, and how much I should expect on costs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Back