From a Christian perspective, should parents who raise children without religion be

Tony_the_heretic

Jun 8, 2010
punished? I have two daughters, one is 17, the other 19. I have raised them in very much the same fashion I was raised, with what I believe is a healthy skepticism toward certain types of authority. I have cautioned them from accepting at face value statements like that "America is the greatest", since it is not based on any evidence, nor is it a well thought out conjecture. After all, the "American experience" is very different for a privileged middle income white person than for certain poor minorities. Similarly, I have encouraged them to stand on their own merits, not believe that since a certain book offers one metaphysical perspective on the nature of reality that it is right.

However, from a Christian perspective, I could be endangering their souls by not teaching them about God.
When my children were young, I read a book that suggested that children have the idea of god "imprinted" in their minds at a young age, very much like the ducks in the famous experiment who believed that a Coke bottle was their mother. Now, the author concluded that since the likelihood
of them accepting God would increase if they were so taught, that it was the correct thing to do.
Honestly, I could not follow the logic of this. It was like saying, if you don't raise your children racist, they probably won't come to accept it

Yet, to the fundamental believer, I must seem like a bad parent, perhaps depriving my children of the greatest gift a parent can offer a child

YES with HELL! How could you deprive your children of brainwashing, the best gift a parent can offer a child?

Absolutely not, every one has a right to decide how they raise their children. As long as you are keeping them safe healthy and happy than I have no issues

Back