Fiat 500 sport gear sticking?

MagickAngel1

Jul 5, 2012
I recently bought a Fiat 500 2009 reg 1.2 sport
Since I got the car I have noticed that sometimes it will not go into 1st gear or reverse.
sometimes it can take 6 attempts to put the car in gear - my mum has been with me when it happened (usually when i am parking)
Does anyone elses 500 do this?
is it something I should get checked?
the dealer told me it had a whole new handbrake just before i picked it up - that wouldnt make any difference would it?

worried about my lil car
Thank you for the answers so far!

apparently the "whole handbrake system was replaced" i have no idea what that involves, took just over a day to do (or so i am told)

I have 12 months warranty with the dealer (it was a toyota dealer - they should still help me shouldnt they?)
i have had the car for 1 month now
there are a few other minor issues with it but the gear problem is causing me some issues.
minor issues include - rust on underside, rattling in boot lid, strange quiet beeping - poss ABS) and squeaky breaks.
i have been to the dealer about the beeping and they laughed at me saying im imagining it. - im really not!

2009 - is it still within the 3 year warranty period? If so, then get it to your local Fiat main dealer to get it sorted out. Sounds to me, like a minor adjustment/linkage issue, as it is happening in 1st & reverse. Even if out of warranty, it shouldn't take much to fix. When they replaced the handbrake - assume just a cable - or maybe the lever, it is entirely possible that they could have accidentally damaged the gear linkage. It doesn't need to be out of adjustment by much, to give the symptoms that you describe. OK, they may have given you a years warranty, but if under 3 years old, it will be covered by the manufacturers warranty, which is a better bet. Any 'aftermarket' warranty will contain certain restrictions, meaning that the minor issues (in their eyes - not yours) may not fall under the 'aftermarket' warranty umbrella. You have multiple defects and the dealer is trying to fob you off, so unfortunately you may need to get an independant engineers report, or AA/RAC inspection and then confront them with that. You could also seek advice from the SMMT (Society or Motor Manufacturers and Traders) - the Toyota garage will be a member. Oh - and it's NOT the clutch dragging as someone has suggested! If it were, then your problem would be experienced in all gears .

Back