Ex-NBA center, coach Sean Rooks dies at 46

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
165eff70-2d10-11e6-b2cf-e1463eaf4bc0_GettyImages-1396534.jpg
Sad news out of Philadelphia: Former NBA center and Philadelphia 76ers assistant coach Sean Rooks died Tuesday at just 46 years old, as first reported by Marc J. Spears of The Undefeated and confirmed by Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer. No details on the cause of Rooks' death have yet been reported.
"It is with deep sadness and overwhelming grief that we mourn the sudden loss of my son, Sean," his mother, Deborah Brown, said in a statement issued by the 76ers on Tuesday. "Our family asks that our privacy be respected as we grieve during this incredibly difficult time."
A second-round pick of the Dallas Mavericks in the 1992 NBA draft, the burly 6-foot-10-inch Rooks carved out a career as a rugged and reliable interior player, averaging 6.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in 18.1 minutes per game in 12 NBA seasons with the Mavericks, Minnesota Timberwolves, Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, New Orleans Hornets and Orlando Magic.
After a brief post-NBA stint playing in Spain, Rooks embarked on a coaching career, working his way up from the D-League as an assistant with the Bakersfield Jam, New Mexico Thunderbirds and Sioux Falls Skyforce before eventually earning a shot at the NBA level as a player development assistant and big-man coach with the Phoenix Suns in 2012. He'd later occupy a similar role on Brett Brown's staff with the 76ers, working closely with highly touted youngsters Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid and Jahlil Okafor.
The Sixers' players reportedly loved him, but after two years in Philadelphia, Rooks had reportedly been replaced on Brown's staff. He was evidently looking to continue his coaching career. In addition to Rooks interviewing with the Knicks, both Spears and Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer report that he was in the running to be the head coach of the Greensboro Swarm, the Charlotte Hornets' newly launched D-League team, which is set to begin play for the 2016-17 season.
News of Rooks' death came as a surprise, and sent a shockwave through an NBA community of players who played with or against him, worked with him as a coach, or just came into contact with him at some point in his decades-long life in basketball:
@MarcJSpearsESPN NO... Big bro #RIP
— Earl J Watson (@Earl_Watson) June 7, 2016
My condolences to Sean Rooks Family. Plan and Simple he was a Good Dude. Fantastic teammate. Tippy Toes you will be miss.
— Steve Smith (@steve21smith) June 8, 2016
Sean rooks was a great coach man I can't believe he died RIP gone too soon
— Jordan McRae (@JordyMac52) June 8, 2016
We are deeply saddened by the loss of Sean Rooks. Our thoughts are with the entire Rooks family.
— Philadelphia 76ers (@Sixers) June 8, 2016
RIP Coach Rooks! prayers to the rooks family! #wildcatfamily pic.twitter.com/AMCb57Y4EP
— Solomon Hill (@solohill) June 8, 2016
Man! My heart hurts! RiP Coach Rooks, always had a great smile on his face and would catch up with me pregame when we played Philly. ???
— Justin Anderson (@JusAnderson1) June 7, 2016
Sad news tonight, as we learned that former Suns player development coach, Sean Rooks, has passed away. Our condolences to his family.
— Phoenix Suns (@Suns) June 8, 2016
Very saddened to hear of the passing of former Wildcat Sean Rooks. He and his family are in our thoughts. #RIP pic.twitter.com/PjQwlJcpZD
— Arizona Basketball (@APlayersProgram) June 8, 2016
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Rooks family. Gonna miss you bro ? #RIP https://t.co/5K3iimIsoJ
— Nik Stauskas (@NStauskas11) June 8, 2016
Prayers up to Sean Rooks and his family. Heard nothing but great things about him. R.i.p
— Marcus Morris (@MookMorris2) June 8, 2016
Damn man. RIP Sean Rooks. ?????? Sad crazy news! Condolences to his family.
— Quentin Richardson (@QRich) June 7, 2016
I can't believe Sean gone! Tons of fun and really took care of me my freshman yr! I'm forever grateful for what u taught me! #RIP ???
— Damon Stoudamire (@Iambiggie503) June 8, 2016
Sad seeing all these people dying so young man!!!
— Dorell Wright (@DWRIGHTWAY1) June 8, 2016
I'm heartbroken to hear about my former teammate and friend passing away..Always had a smile and a good energy. https://t.co/00QlssghsQ
— Tom Tolbert (@byronjr23) June 8, 2016
The outpouring of grief and support hints at the high regard in which so many pros held Rooks as a player, a coach and a person.
"I got a lot of support from the fans — especially Clippers fans — during my career and that was rewarding," he said in a 2011 interview with Clippers.com. "I was always a player who was wanted and that was encouraging as well. I might have been labeled a journeyman, but I had the respect of so many coaches and players. Overall, I have a lot of fond memories and no regrets."
More NBA coverage:

- - - - - - -
Dan Devine is an editor for Ball Don't Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @YourManDevine
Stay connected with Ball Don't Lie on Twitter @YahooBDL, "Like" BDL on Facebook and follow Dunks Don't Lie on Tumblr for year-round NBA talk, jokes and more.

Back