Electric Company: No great spark for first-time user of a cordless electric mower

M_Smith

Jun 18, 2007
Electric Company: No great spark for first-time user of a cordless electric mower

[SIZE=-1]A couple of weeks ago, the drive belt broke on my 9-year-old Toro 21-inch self-propelled Recycler mower, putting the usually reliable workhorse on the DL. Since I wasn't able to drop off the mower at the repair shop for several days and because the fix time was going to take more than a week?seems like more budget-minded folks are fix choosing to repair their power equipment instead of replacing it?I was going to be without a mower for a while. With the grass at my Northern New Jersey home growing like crazy, I didn't want to wait too long between cuts.

I arranged with our Technical department to borrow one of the models from our latest report on mowers and tractors (available to subscribers). I could have taken any mower, but since I'd long wanted to try an electric mower, I chose the top-rated cordless electric model, the Black & Decker CMM1200 (shown), $400, a 24-volt mower with a 19-inch deck that can bag, mulch, and side-discharge.

I've used the mower a couple of times already. My impressions:

? The Black & Decker is convenient to use. Once I located the hookup for the battery charger (which has a long cord), I just plugged it in for an overnight charge so I could mow the next day.

? Cutting-height adjustment is a snap. Pushing down on one button allows you to smoothly raise all four wheels. There's even a notation as to which cutting heights are best for mulching.

? The CMM1200 is quieter than my Toro. I still wore my hearing protection when running this mower, but when I pulled back on the lever to start mowing, the electric model seemed comparatively quiet. My 83-year-old neighbor even remarked that it was quieter than my gas-powered machine.

? The mower did a good job bagging and a decent job mulching. I had to make a few more passes because it cuts a smaller swatch, but I didn't notice a marked difference in overall cutting.

? Run time seems ample. My property is only about a quarter acre, so the 40-minute run time is sufficient. B&D suggests the mower is good for properties up to a third of an acre.

? My biggest gripe with the mower has to do with its 76-pound weight and the fact that this is not a self-propelled machine. My property has only a few slopes and is relatively free of obstacles, but using the B&D took far more effort than the Toro, and as the bag filled with clippings, maneuvering it around trees or in tighter areas felt a bit like a wrestling match. Hint: Use the mower in mulching mode to eliminate the extra weight from the bag.

I had no problem pushing the machine, but when using it on a particularly warm, humid afternoon, a task I usually enjoy went from the usual light workout to a sweatfest. I can hear your comments: "C'mon, Steven. Suck it up!" Just so you know, I'm no wimp and don't shy away from outdoor chores; I do all my yard work year-round and happily use all kinds of outdoor gear.

I understand the environmental impact associated with using an electric mower?learn about mower-exchange programs?but until a manufacturer comes out with a self-propelled cordless electric mower or I move to a home with a completely flat yard, I'm sticking with my Toro.

If you've given up a gas mower for an electric one, tell us about your experiences below. Or are you considering such a move? Let us know.?Steven H. Saltzman | e-mail | Twitter | Forums | Facebook

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Subscribe now![/SIZE]
Subscribe to [SIZE=-1]ConsumerReports.org[/SIZE] for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. [SIZE=-1]Update your feed preferences[/SIZE]
electric_company_no_great_spark_for_firsttime_us_792469635

Back