Driving is a privilege, not a right, so why do you complain about how much people

TheNamesMud

Sep 21, 2008
get paid for assembling cars? Costs a buck total for the Chinese to manufacture a toaster, yet we're paying 20 bucks for them. Maybe if these CEO's and unions weren't spending the cash reserves on airplane rides they could bail themselves out. And you want these people to have tax breaks?

Quit blaming the laborer when it's the big man not doing his job.
Well you have a choice. Buy from another nation which in turn will break your a** because we're throwing our money at them. Or suck it up and buy American so you and a few other million Americans can keep their job.

Silly American. You think of the now. You have a McDonalds poisoned brain. Want it fast and easy at a low price and in return lose your health. Buying that American car, they call that job security. I bet at least one of your friends jobs counts on the American auto industry.

Detroit's problems are complex, and it is naive to assign the whole thing to either "the laborer" or "the big man."

When it comes to the labor component, the problem is not the rate of pay, per se. It is a combination of the rate of pay, the cost of benefits, the burden of benefits paid to retirees, and the productivity of the workforce. Even productivity is itself a complex issue, reflecting not just how "hard" people work, but also union work rules and Detroit's inability to keep up with capital investment in automation.

Keep this in mind: No matter whose "fault" it is, "When benefits are taken into account, U.S. automakers pay workers an average $70 an hour. Japanese automaker Toyota pays workers doing the same jobs in its U.S. plants $40 to $45 an hour." See link below.

I run a business. I know if my cost of labor was 55% higher than my competition's, it would be devastating.

I remember when there was a strike at American Axle... I did the math (based off of numbers from a newspaper article)
The amount of money that would be saved by cutting the worker's wages was just about equal to the CEO's bonus from the previous year.

I really blame the American auto CEOs because they put all their eggs in one basket (SUVs). And wouldn't you know, that would be a terrible idea if gas prices were to rise...

the UAW has been giving concession after concession to save their jobs. Maybe the workers do make above industry average, but it's not their fault their company is bankrupt.

We don't. They can get paid the totality of their CEOs compensation. But if they can't create a car at a decent price, I won't buy it, and I'm damned sure not going to pay their salary for them through inflationary credit injection or taxation when I have my own costs of living to support.

Back