Do beans lose significant nutrition in cooking?

GastonDelacroix

Feb 21, 2013
I've been looking for ways to get more protein and fiber into my diet, and I recently saw that a package of pinto beans claims that 1 cup (dry) has 28g protein and 56g fiber for a mere 240 calories.

When I look at the nutritional information for cooked pintos (for what I think is the same quantity -- beans don't seem to swell that much when cooked), the protein is halved and the fiber is reduced to less than a third.

Is this much nutrition really lost in the boiling? If so, is there a reasonable way to cook beans without boiling them?
Comparing 100 calories of each: Uncooked, 23.33g fiber, 11.66g protein; Cooked, 6.3g fiber, 6.3g protein. Where does all the fiber and protein go?

All foods loose an incredible amount of nutrients when cooked. Even orange juice that you buy in stores contains pretty much no vitamin c because its been both exposed to air and light!
No matter what you are going to lose some nutrients in any heating. One of the best ways I've found is to steam them SLIGHTLY. not more than it needs.
Its best to cook things while they are not sitting in a liquid. The nutrients leave the food and go into the water, and then the water is thrown out. I'd say steaming slightly is definitely best

Back