DeMarcus Cousins and Joel Embiid express mutual admiration via many butt slaps

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
465b5fa3c1c4d284be3253a52f272aae
Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid battles for a loose ball with Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins. (AP/Steve Yeater) Monday’s late game between the Sacramento Kings and Philadelphia 76ers held a level of intrigue that far outstripped the overall NBA relevance of two teams with a combined record of 20-39, because it afforded hoops fans the chance to watch two premier big men — DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento’s explosive All-Star, and Joel Embiid, the exactly-as-good-as-advertised odds-on favorite for Rookie of the Year — lock horns for the first time. What kind of brutal battle would we see when two of the most physically imposing and gifted big men in the NBA went head-to-head and toe-to-toe?
The answer, frankly, was one we should have seen coming: a lot of butt slappin’.
[Join a Yahoo Daily Fantasy Basketball contest now | Free NBA Yahoo Cup entry]

After Embiid was whistled for traveling while defended by Cousins about 4 1/2 minutes into the game, the two titans walked back down the other end of the court, and Boogie, for one reason or another, decided to wind up and give the rook a swift pat on the backside. Embiid — a rookie but no shrinking violet when it comes to, well, anything — promptly wheeled around and answered in kind.

Cousins, a veteran big dog who wasn’t about to let the visitor get the last word in his house, replied. Embiid, incorrigible, answered again.
If you're ever having a rough day, just watch this and you'll feel all better. pic.twitter.com/iZSIeDCO1g
— Michael Gallagher (@MikeSGallagher) December 27, 2016
And then, they ran back down the court, and the game resumed, and that was that. Real strong attaboy-ing, guys. Top-drawer business, all around.
The early battle of “Can You Slap This?” presaged an evening-long duel between the two preternaturally talented pivots, both of whom serve as their team’s primary source of offense and last line of defense, elevating limited talent around them and providing bursts of inspiration with their individual play several times in each and every game:

Cousins had the last laugh on Monday, hitting a 3-pointer with 20.9 seconds remaining to put Sacramento up by two points, splitting a pair of free throws that kept the advantage at two with five seconds left, and then blocking Embiid’s attempt at a game-winning triple on Philly’s final possession to seal a 102-100 win. Cousins finished with 30 points on 10-for-20 shooting, seven rebounds, five assists, three steals and two blocks in 34 minutes of playing time to lead the Kings, who have won four straight to improve to 14-17, giving them a one-game lead on the Denver Nuggets for the No. 8 seed in the Western Conference.
[Follow Ball Don’t Lie on social media: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Tumblr]
After the game, Cousins spoke with Comcast SportsNet’s Kayte Christensen about his showdown with Embiid, and the Kings center could scarcely contain his effusive praise of the rook, who led his team with 25 points in 29 minutes, eight rebounds, two steals, two blocks and one assist:
.@boogiecousins on @JoelEmbiid: "He got a great chance at being the best big in this League. After I retire." pic.twitter.com/QOe1hl3IcH
— SLAM Magazine (@SLAMonline) December 27, 2016
“I like that kid a lot. I don’t give a lot of people props, but I like that kid a lot. I think he’s got a great chance of being the best big in the league … after I retire.”
Idk what's better, Boogie's joke or his satisfaction with his joke. pic.twitter.com/IOxkvwqy8Y
— Wow. Incredible. (@RocketIntellect) December 27, 2016
Cousins expounded on his praise in his chat with reporters in the Kings’ locker room.
“That kid is special, man,” he said, according to Michael Wagaman of The Associated Press. “All jokes aside, I really think he’s a good player. This is my first time ever interacting with Embiid and also feeling how physical he is as well. His talent is through the roof. Once he gets a better understanding of the game, it’s going to be scary.”
And when that day comes — when Embiid does develop that understanding — Boogie will be there, waiting, his hand poised and ready for the butt-slap rematch that none of us knew we’d never be able to live without.
More NBA coverage:

– – – – – – –
Dan Devine is an editor for Ball Don’t Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @YourManDevine

Back