Community Service Thread: How to Get (and Keep) a Job

SoAZGal

Apr 6, 2008
For all you folks looking for a job this summer:

I have owned and operated my own business for 10 years now. I have had to hire, fire, review, interview, recommend, reprimand, encourage, train, demote, and promote dozens of people. With that experience in mind, and as a service to the many young MAPpers I see asking/posting about jobs and job interviews, I would like to offer a view from the "other" side. Here are some things that business owners will expect and look for, when deciding whether or not they will hire you, promote you, or let you walk....

When to Apply: Apply NOW. (That's NOW, as in right NOW, not later. Today. Instantly.) I have people on my staff now. I have others that I have already trained who are coming back to work for the summer, during their breaks from college. There are only so many good jobs. If you want one, you better start looking.

Where to Apply: Anywhere hiring, as long as you don't have a moral, legal, or health reason for not applying for that specific job. If you consider yourself "too good" to sling burgers at McDonalds, then I consider you "not good enough" to work at my store. I want to hire someone hungry for a job, someone who will appreciate having one, and work hard to keep it. Be assured that I will ask you, during your interview, "Where else have you applied?" This goes for young professionals, as well as summer seasonal hires: when my husband left the military with his Masters degree, he put 185 resume's on the street in two weeks' time. If you don't have a job and you want one, then looking for a job should be your job. Start at 9 am and work at least until 4 each day, as if you were on the clock.

Getting ready to Apply: Even while you are looking for a job, please think about these basic rules:
1. Dress well. Act well. You will never get a second chance to make a first impression. If you are asking for applications, and the owner/manager happens to see you, you might already have given him all he needs to know to decide whether or not your application is worth a second look. I had one young lady stand with her arms folded, back-biting her mother (who was also in the store at the same time), all the while asking about openings. She handed in her application, and I threw it out--if she couldn't respond to her mother's authority, I knew she would never respond to mine. Another young lady came in to apply while I was shorthanded one day. I was working the cash register. She treated me as if I were a lower life form, until she figured out that I would be the one reviewing her application. Needless to say, she wasn't hired. I want to hire people who will treat me, my customers, and my other employees with respect, and who will reflect well on me and my store. Show me that you are this type of individual.

2. Come Prepared: Bring your list of references (at least three, preferably five) with you. Have a driver's license or school ID on hand, along with a Social Security Card, Work Permit, or any other paperwork you might need. You never know....I might offer you an interview on the spot.

3. Learn Something About the Job Before You Apply: Have you ever been in my store before, other than to apply? Do you know what we sell? Where the different sections are? What are our hours? (You should know, because somebody has to work those hours!)

Your Job Application: This is the first real information I'll have about you. I can usually tell just from reading through it, whether or not you are even worth interviewing. I will have a stack of thirty apps on my desk for this month. I have to decide which three to interview, and which 27 to ignore. DON'T MAKE THIS JOB EASY FOR ME. Make me take a second look at your app. For what it's worth, here are some things that I will be looking for...

1. Fill it Our Completely: I designed the application. I wrote it myself. It has questions on it, because I want to know the answers. If something honestly doesn't apply, then put "N/A", so that I know you didn't just ignore it and leave it blank. Don't skip sections.

2. Follow all directions: If you can't follow directions written on the app, I know you'll never follow the directions for how I want my business run.

3. Write Neatly: My business depends on written communications. It is critical that you can write legibly. Plus five points for a very neat, complete application. Minus three points if all the information is there, but it is difficult to read.

4. Past Job History: Fill out the information completely. Answer honestly, even if it isn't that flattering. I will not hire someone who will lie or shade the truth to cover unpleasant facts or circumstances. I will contact any past employers. Don't worry, if they give unfavorable information, I will consider it, but not treat it as gospel. I will always check how long you held each past job. If you have had three jobs, each for two or three months, I won't hire you--this shows me that there is something in your character, and you cannot keep a job. Most jobs have a three-month probationary period. You didn't even last that long, and you expect me to hire you? I don't think so! And I will always ask you, "Why did you leave?" Think about your answers in advance. Beware of saying "Not enough hours". This is the most common answer I've seen written on my apps, and a sure guarantee that I won't hire you. There are more than enough hours for very good employees. I will give my best employees overtime; I will give my slugs less hours. "Not enough hours" was your previous Employer's code for "I really don't want this person working for me any more, but I know someone might sue me if I fire them outright, so I will just drop their hours lower and lower on the schedule until they finally quit." And I don't want to hear how you left because your boss was an idiot. If it was always "your boss's fault", I won't hire you. No, it isn't "your boss's fault" that you lost the last three jobs you've had, all within three months of being hired. It's your fault, because you are a slug, and you desperately need an attitude adjustment. Unfortunately for you, you will be making that attitude adjustment while somewhere else, other than working at my store.

4.a). Past Job History for Those Looking for a First Job: I know what you're thinking: "How can I get experience if no one will hire me, and no one will hire me because I have no experience?" Be encouraged!! Most of my employees are first-time hires. They showed me things, on their applications and in their interviews, that gave me the same information that job experience gives. I look for job experience because it shows me that: a). you can respond well to people in authority over you, b). you are responsible, c). you can manage your time, d). you can manage other peoples' time, supplies, and money, e). you are trust-worthy, f.) you have initiative, and g). you can complete what you start. Take full advantage of any section of your resume/application that can show these same types of qualities, in or out of a past job situation. Examples: Look for any application sections marked "Other Relevant Experience", "Training", or "Other Training", or add such sections to your resume. Type up a list, and attach it to your application. Really, I won't mind, and I'll even read it! Include things such as: Have you done any volunteer work? Have you sponsored or managed an event (school car wash, stage play, charity yard sale). Were you in scouts? Clubs? Have you done any teaching? Ever taught Sunday school or been a school volunteer? What about your martial arts experience? How long have you been doing it?? Having a higher belt rank tells me you can stick with what you start, even if it gets difficult.

4.b). Past Job History for Those in the "Slug" Category in the Above Paragraph: If you really have had three jobs in the last six months, and you left each one because your hours were being cut, do not give up. Your life is not over, but you will have more difficulty getting a job than the person who has never been hired at all. Tell the truth on your app anyway. If you know that your last employer is going to have some unfavorable comments about you when I call them (and I will), then put right on that section of the app, "Please ask me about this." When I ask, don't make excuses. Be up front. I would prefer to hear from you that you were iofftopicture and didn't treat the job with the respect it deserved, rather than hear this from your past employer. Admitting your past failures shows more maturity than covering them up. Be ready to tell me exactly what you will do differently if you work for me, and be aware that I will be watching, to see if you keep your promise to act differently.

5. Your references: Always (always, always, ALWAYS!!!) ask permission to use someone as a reference, before you do. I will ask them, when I call (and I will call your references), if you asked their permission to use them as a reference. You might be surprised: the teacher that you thought would give you a great reference might tell you that they would rather not be a ref for you. Most people will tell you that they would rather not be a reference, rather than agree to be a ref, knowing that they will give unfavorable information when a potential employer calls. You are much better off, knowing in advance if one of your references might give some unfavorable replies.

5.a). Which References to Pick: I don't care how many of your high school buds think that you are a great guy. I want to hear from people who have seen your character. I will ask your references these questions: How long have you known him? In what capacity? Comment on his character? Is he trustworthy? How does he respond to authority? Is he punctual? Does he work well without close supervision? Do you trust him? If your livelihood depended on the people you hired, would you be at all reluctant to hire this person? Think about people who can answer these types of questions, and comment on those qualities that any employer would be looking for. Ask people to be references who are trustworthy themselves, and who have seen you demonstrate initiative, service, trustworthiness, and responsibility. Good candidates are teachers in whose class you have contributed and done well, leaders of any community service organizations to which you belong, and people for whom you have provided babysitting, lawn-mowing, or other services.

5.b). Recommendation Letters: Those employers who require letters of recommendation usually require that they be submitted in sealed envelopes. If needed, get letters of recommendation from people willing to give you copies of the letters that they are sending. The letters they send, and comments they make to me when I call, are confidential: I will not tell you what any individual reference said about you. If someone is unwilling to show you what they are sending in a letter, you can (and probably should) find someone else to give you a more flattering recommendation.

I will add to this thread in a few more sections, to discuss your job interview, your first day on the job, and general work ethics and behavior. Right now, I have to make dinner and help with homework for my most junior "trainees".

How 'bout it, MAPpers? Any other business owners or managers hiring this summer who would care to comment? Anyone have specific questions?

COMING UP NEXT POST: The Job Interview

OMG Ann, you hit on a hot button for me. Let me add a couple things.
DRESS for SUCCESS. I don't care if your applying for that burger slinging job, dress like a million bucks, not a slob.
Don't show up with your pants pulled down, in a warmup outfit or wearing a hat. Don't smell like smoke or alcohol, don't have headphones on.
TURN YOUR CELL PHONE OFF. I had an applicant TAKE A CALL during an interview once, needless to say, it was a short interview.
Be on time, better yet, be early.
Sit up during the interview and DON'T CHEW GUM!!!!!!!!!!!
Have all the names, addresses, and phone #'s ready, don't expect me to have a phone book handy.
Go easy on the cologne or perfume, this is an interview, not a nightclub...
And lastly, use words like please, thank you, sir, ma'am. You'd be AMAZED at how far politeness will go.

Any more??

Great points , Kwaj!!!
I was writing my next section (on Job Interviews) off-line, and you managed to post most of the highlights in a lot fewer words.

Here's my take on the interviews:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2: The Job Interview

Congratulations! You have made it far enough in the job-seeking process to land an interview! This is your opportunity to show your individuality, and the unique benefits and skills that you can bring to my company. Here are some thoughts to help it go well:

What am I Thinking? Try to understand the job interview from the perspective of your potential employer. When I give an interview, I am thinking that I will have 30 to 45 minutes to make a decision on whether or not I am willing to trust you with the name and reputation of a store that has been in business for 30 years. If I hire you, I will be trusting you with my paycheck, and the paychecks of every other employee, along with the reputation and respect it's taken 30 years to earn within the community. It is a very serious thing. I take it seriously. Make sure you take it seriously, too.

1. You will be nervous. You know it. I know it. I will use that to my advantage. Yes, I will try to make you relaxed and comfortable. No, I am not there to scare you. But, I will try to see how you react under pressure.

2. I will ask you something you don't know. Don't think you've failed in an interview if you don't have a good answer to every question. I make a point of asking at least one question that I know you cannot possibly answer correctly. I want to see how you will respond. Will you try to bluff your way through it? Trust me, employers can smell horse manure. Don't sling it around if you can't answer a question, and don't ever lie! Will you give up? Don't do that either. Are you willing to admit that you honestly don't know? The best responses to questions that you cannot answer include a candid admission of the fact, and an honest attempt to do what is reasonable. You probably don't know our store's policy on irate customers returning things without a receipt that they claim were received damaged. But, you can do sensible things (ask another employee, refer them to a manager, take their name and phone number, promise to read the Employee's Handbook to find out the answer) without knowing anything else about our store. If you’re not sure about a question, ask for clarification. Make sure you understand what it is I’m asking.

3. I want to know how much you know about my business. I will have to train you. I want to know what strengths you already have. I will ask you about specific skills that might or might not have shown up in your work history on your application. In my case, I sell books, gifts, and music. I will ask you specific questions about types of books, specific authors, styles of music, etc. I will ask you what you would tell a Customer if they were looking for a specific style of music. Sometimes, you will know the answer, and be able to help the Customer. This tells me you have a "leg up" on training, over someone who knows nothing at all about the products I sell in my store.

4. Your Character is More Important than Your Knowledge: With all that said, I really don't care too much if you've read every book we carry or not. I can train you about different styles of music, types of books, etc. I don't have time to teach you good character. I need to know if you already have it. Do you have common sense? Are you respectful? Do you have self-confidence? Are you arrogant? I will be looking for these types of things in your interview.

Some Simple Rules for your Job Interview: Now you know what I’ll be thinking. What can you do to shine in your interview? Here are some simple rules to keep in mind:

1. Be on time: Absenteeism is one of the biggest problems in the workplace. Punctuality is a close second. If you can’t show up on time for your one-and-only interview with me, how can I possibly believe you will be on time every day for work? Come early, or don’t bother coming at all. If you have to cancel or re-schedule, call me well in advance. Respect my time, and I will respect yours.

2. Dress Appropriately: You won’t know my dress code before I hire and tell you, but you should have common sense. Look professional. Visit the store and see how the other employees dress on the job. Dress at least as well. If they have ties, wear a tie. Look your best. No one ever lost a job by “overdressing” for an interview. Lots of people lose out by underdressing.

3. Don’t Give Me any “Easy Reasons” to Eliminate You. I will be interviewing 6 people. I’ll be in a bad mood, because I hate interviewing. I’ll have to pick one or two, and let the others know their services won’t be required. Don’t make it easy for me to drop you from consideration. Don’t come to the interview with your lunch, or chewing gum. Show good manners; be respectful. Sit up straight in your chair. Look neat. I am looking for anything and everything that will differentiate you from the others I’m interviewing.

4. Prepare for Obvious Questions. I want to find out if I should hire you, or if there are reasons why I shouldn't. I want to know if you are the "best" candidate, or if someone else might better suit my needs. You can prepare by thinking of the types of questions you would ask to find this out, if you were the employer. Ask friends who have jobs or have had interviews, about the questions they were asked. Be ready with some answers to these questions. I will always ask: “Why did you apply here?” “Where else do you have applications?” “Why should I hire you?” “Tell me about yourself”.

Other common interview questions include: “What is your greatest strength?” “What is your greatest weakness?” Some wrong answers to that last question, include things like, “I have a hard time getting to work on time,” “I tend to steal,” “I have a drug problem,” or other answers that would tell me I shouldn’t hire you any time this century. Some better answers show a weakness that can be a real strength, such as, “I sometimes have too much attention to detail, but at least you know your cash register will always balance,” or “I tend to set very high goals for myself, but because of this, I am always trying to improve.” Don’t tell me you don’t have any weaknesses: I don’t need to hire blind people with attitude problems.

5. Don’t Speak Ill of Anyone. Don’t tell me what a jerk your last boss was. If you speak ill of him, I know you’ll say the same types of things about me. For that matter, don’t tell me bad things about anyone (other employees, past associates, your parents, etc.) Gossip on the job will destroy morale and the team spirit. I hate it so much that I posted it in the Employee’s Handbook as a firing offense. Like your Moofftopic told you, “If you can’t say anything nice…..”

6. Some Tips from my Husband, the Corporate Vice President: While writing this post, I asked my husband (who hires and fires executives at 6-figure salaries) for his suggestions on preparing for your first job interview. His top three:
1. Be Early!
2. Always introduce yourself (to anyone who enters the room).
3. Make sure you know something about the company, before you come to the interview.

Coming Next Post: Keeping the Job After You’re Hired

as someone who will be graduating from university in the next month this could not have come at a better time. thanks!

Don't worry about it, Kwaj -- the more the merrier.

Besides, I think it always helps to have the same thing said by more than one person. (I could almost here people thinking, even while I was typing, "Why would any employer care if I chewed gum or sat up straight or not??!?!?!" It's good to hear that other employers think along the same lines, and I'm not just being neurotic )

Part 3: Keeping Your Job

Awesome! Now you have landed a job. Let’s make sure you keep it. Here are a few things that Employers will be expecting you to bring to the job from Day One. Consider these, and you will keep your job, and might even end up getting promoted:

What is Expected:

1. Be Ready to Work on Time: If you’re on time, you’re late. You are on a schedule, and other people are relying on you (and not just your boss, but your co-workers, too!). Someone else can’t leave until you get there, and are ready to work. If you have an emergency or a schedule change, try to handle it. Call ahead of time. Try to arrange a swap with another Employee. And please remember that being “ready to work” doesn’t mean that you just walked through the door. I have had new employees come in to work bringing their breakfast, their homework, the rest of their clothes, and just about anything else imaginable. Your job isn’t to eat, comb your hair, or finish schoolwork. Make sure you are actually ready to start working at the beginning of your assigned shift.

2. Have Integrity, Even in the Little Things: Suppose you planned to go on a trip for a family wedding and reunion, and you were going to be gone for a month. Suppose you asked me to watch your house while you were gone, rent-free, and all I had to do was take care of your place, pick up the mail, and mow the lawn. Now suppose that you came back from your trip and found that I had run up a $300 long-distance phone bill, broken your stereo, eaten all your snack food, and taken a bunch of your bath towels when I left. You wouldn’t want me to do this to you, so don’t do it to me. Taking stuff from the office is stealing. Showing up late for work and lying on your time card is stealing. Using my phone for long-distance calls is stealing. If I can’t trust you completely, then I can’t trust you at all.

3. Ask, Instead of Being Told, What to Do: If you haven’t been told what to do, don’t sit there doing nothing. Barely-adequate Employees will sit around until I walk up to them and tell them exactly what to do. (Such employees usually end up with the least desirable jobs of all, if they end up with a job at all.) Good Employees will follow the instructions given to them, then ask what else needs to be done once they’ve finished. Great Employees will follow the instructions given to them, then look for what else needs to be done, without being asked. These employees end up getting promoted.

4. Read the Employee’s Handbook: McDonald’s has one. Wal-Mart has one. Citicorp, IBM, and Microsoft each have one. My little store with seven employees has one. I wrote it so you would know exactly what I expect of you. It includes everything I think you need to know about your job in order to be successful. READ IT!

5. Follow Written and Verbal Instructions: Don’t make me tell you twice. If I tell you I want the phone answered a certain way, or I want the employees to follow a specific dress code, or I want a box packed a specific way, trust me that I have a reason for it. I will be very open to your suggestions for improving your job, but only after you demonstrate that you can do things the way I’ve instructed, and after you’ve shown that you understand why I’ve asked for them to be done a certain way.

6. Learn from Your Mistakes: Everyone makes mistakes. It’s a fact of life. I understand that, and I won’t fire you just because you make a mistake. Honest! Treat it as a learning experience. A good employee is worth far more than the cost of his mistakes........as long as he doesn’t make the same mistakes over again.

7. Have a Good Attitude: No one owes you a job. If your attitude is that you will only give a minimum wage effort because you are only getting a minimum wage paycheck, you have just guaranteed that you will never get paid a dime more. Always do your best. Every day, you are representing yourself, your family, your school, and when you are on the job, you are representing me. Do every job in such a way that you would be willing to sign your name to it.

8. Treat My Customers as if Your Job Depended on It: Guess what? It really does.

9. Communicate: Talk to the Customers. Ask them what they need and help them find it. If they are coming up to you to ask questions, then you are not going out often enough to them. The same is true for office jobs: communicate with your Supervisor. If he is always coming to you to ask about status of projects and what you are doing, then you are not providing him with enough information. It goes back to “Rule # 3 –Don’t Wait to Be Told.”

10. Be correctable: You will make mistakes. Give your boss or supervisor the freedom to tell you what mistakes you are making, and how to fix them. If the boss comes to tell you about a problem and you immediately get defensive or make excuses, he will stop coming to tell you. Trust me, this is not a good thing: it is one step from getting your hours cut or getting fired.

11. Ask Questions: Admit when you don’t know and ask. Ask your boss. Ask your co-workers. If a Customer asks you a question you can’t answer, don’t try to snow him. Tell him you don’t know and offer to find out. Follow-up and call him back with the answer. If a co-worker is available to help with a Customer’s question, then stick around and listen, so that next time you will know the answer.

12. Be flexible: In my short life, I have been in the military, taught at a university, worked for private industry, and given birth 3 times. Running a small business is harder than any of those things. You can help me by being flexible. My most valuable employees are the ones who are willing to change work schedules, help in areas outside their job description, and adapt when there is an emergency. These are the employees I protect from job cuts when the business is slow.

What if my Hours Start to Get Cut?

As I said in another post, getting your hours cut is often a sign that the boss is dissatisfied with your performance, and you are on your way out. If this happens, you can still turn it around. If you want to keep your job, go to your boss. Set an appointment if necessary. Tell him you really want to be a quality employee and a value to the company. Ask him what he would suggest you do to improve. Listen. Don’t argue. Do it. If you actually follow through on what he tells you, it will totally change his opinion of you, and probably save your job.

Next Time: How to Get Promoted

It's remarkable that even being passably good looking will give you more chances to land a job than looking like a slob.

Part 4: How to Get Promoted

You have a job, and you haven’t gotten fired yet. But why just survive when you can excel?

Here is a short list of the characteristics I value most in any Employee. Employees who show these things will get more hours, better pay, promotions, and great recommendations for future jobs and college admission:

What I value most in an Employee: Here are my top three, in this order.
1. Integrity: Be trustworthy. Nothing shows more about who you are than what you do when no one is looking. Show me you can be trusted, even when I am not there. Follow the rules (dress code, time card, finishing tasks, doing the assigned cleaning) even if you think I will never find out.

2. Initiative: Start new tasks without being told. Know your job well enough to see what needs to be done. Then do it.

3. Teachable: Let me correct you when you are wrong. Don’t argue. Don’t dismiss what I’m telling you. Don’t write it off as, “She’s just having a bad day.” Trust me. There are many things (anything) I would rather be doing. Treat correction as a gift: I think you are valuable enough to help you do your job better, rather than just firing you and finding someone else.

I can put up with just about any problem with any employee, as long as they have these three character traits.

Here are some more character traits to round out the list, in no particular order:

4. Be a Team Player: There is a wonderful change that I see happen to my best employees. At some point, Jacob’s Well (my business) changes from being my store to being their store. They take a pride in ‘ownership’ now, and will look for ways to make their store look better and work better. They see the value of the job they are doing and how it contributes to our community. This almost always happens because they see and understand something of the vision or goals for why the store exists, and they can believe in the same vision. Learn the mission and vision of your company. If you can’t believe in it’s value and worth, then find another job, with a company where you truly can.

5. Always try your best. ‘Nuff said!

6. Be Dependable: Do what you promise.

7. Be Knowledgeable: Always seek to learn more about your job and how to do it better.

The 100% Sure-Fire Way to Get Promoted
Question: If you come to work on time and do your job every day you’re scheduled, how long will it take to get promoted?
Answer: You never will. You are expected to come on time and do your job. That is why you were hired. NO ONE EVER gets promoted for doing his job. Do a better job, and you will get more hours. Do more than your job, and you will get promoted. Show initiative and dependability first. Begin taking on some extra responsibilities, then the title and pay increase will follow.

Here are two final things to help make you an employee that no employer could ever do without:

8. See from your boss’s perspective. Learn what his priorities are. This will help you make better decisions, even when he’s not around. Understand more about your job than the bare minimum to do it. Look for the “Big Picture”, and try to make that happen. Work to make your boss successful. Better yet, work to make his boss successful.

9. As much as possible, get along with your co-workers. You will never get ahead by putting someone else down. Don’t gossip. Don’t make enemies of the people you must depend on to get your job done. It’s not always possible to get along with everyone. Just take care of your part. Your boss sees a lot more than you think.

Well, there you have it. I truly hope this helps all you job-seekers in some way. If you follow these suggestions and end up owning your own multi-billion dollar corporation, please remember me kindly.

Nah, from the numbers, I think I'm campaiging for the "Least Read Thread"

Just had something on my mind that I thought might help, and it happened to be something I knew a little about. (Unlike M.A. )

your timing is impeccable Capt Ann, i'm just about to fill out my application for a job at Tesco this summer. Currently trying to remember the real name for a "shelf stacker" to put in the 'position applied for' space

I've always told people to treat everyone as if they are the most important of people. You never know who they might be. A few years ago I was working an extra job and and had to x-ray a little old lady. No problem for me, I like old people, some techs don't because they take a lot of time. Good idea on my part though because she turned out to be the mother of the guy who owned the company. I about died when I found out. Turns out she said some good things about me and I got a note from the president of the company. So don't overlook anyone, and treat everyone with dignity and grace. You never know who they are.

Shop floor assistant/ general assitant, usually. I have that job right now
This is a great thread, very handy considering I've got an interview tomorrow. Thanks very much

Back