Christians: Is there a curse on those in Christ or not? Is tithing written in the...

ChrisM

May 13, 2008
...book of the Law? Is there any kind of curse on a Christian who has professed Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior?

Romans 8
"
1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,a 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature,b God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.c And so he condemned sin in sinful man,d 4in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit."

Galatians 3:10
"All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

Deuteronomy 27:26
"Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

So in my visiting a church today the pastor gives some statistics on where people spend the majority of their money. The stats looked interesting for the simple fact that he didn't include the fact that black people spend a large amount of their income as a community on going to church. But that was conveniently left out and the only things mentioned were consumer spending on retail items.

So then he proceeds to say that if you don't tithe you are under a curse (sic). No mention of any other law obligations from the old testament. No mention of a person not keeping the entirety of the law either. So he says nothing about living righteous, but that if you don't tithe it is like somebody cut a whole in your pocket. And of course, the devourer.

So I'm scratching my head and thinking of all the scriptures where Paul says that we are no longer under any point of the law. And even if a person tries to keep one tenet of the law in the book and does not keep them all, THEY ARE UNDER A CURSE, not just if you don't keep tithing.

He went on to cite the widow giving the mite. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Israel was still under the Mosaic Law at the time Christ stood and watched over those who gave. And Christ did not come to destroy the law, which was in place at the time, but to fulfill.

Where do these "christian" minister have the audacity to teach that one is free in Christ from the law, and then in the next breath teach "curses" and mosaic law, bondage, and devouring curses if one does not keep law. All I could do was shake my head because none of this was mentioned by the apostles in Acts regarding that of the church to be done by GENTILES. But the very things that the apostles told GENTILES not to do, we do (ie eating meat with blood in it).

Unbelievable! We are truly in the Laodocean church age today
BTW: What authority does a pastor have to speak curses on congregants from Malachi 3:8?

First, they are not the Levitical Priests authorized to receive tithes in the first place
Second, the christian church has never been referenced in the new testament as the storehouse of Malachi 3.

Somebody, if you want to be technical from a hebraic biblical standpoint is being dishonest about tithing and being cursed if you don't. New Testament giving from the heart yes, but curses from not tithing an obligatory 10th is in the book of Law which YOU ARE OBLIGATED to keep in its ENTIRETY or YOU ARE UNDER A CURSE. But of course that is not cited or referenced in the Devourer and Tithes sermons.
@Gregory .. So how could a chrstian Pastor tell a congregation of professed Chrsitians, who are in Christ that the are cursed and a devourer because they don't tithe to his liking? How can you say these things if you can teach once saved always saved and no one can snatch believers out of the hand of Christ, and then in the next breath say that those very believers are cursed because they don't tithe enough.

Wouldn't that mean that they weren't christians at all if you feel the right to tell them they are cursed?

It's very difficult to understand this long and rambling message but three answers to it are obvious:1.No of course Christians can not be cursed in this life for their lack of generosity.2.Since the "once saved always saved" theory is a dangerous fiction,it is possible for people to lose their salvation due to a lack of love which in part is expressed through generous giving.3.Jesus never taught His followers to tithe.Rather He taught them to give all of their money to others.

Acts 4:32

32 All the believers were united in heart and mind. And they felt that what they owned was not their own, so they shared everything they had.

Do you recognize any presidential politics in this teaching? :you are looser:

Back