Can I still become a police officer if I smoked weed?

ptbullt

Mar 13, 2011
Hi everyone, I wanted to know if i still have a chance of becoming a police officer even though i smoked weed. My situation is a bit lengthy but I want to give the full details.

I experimented with weed first when i was about 14 years old. During that time I smoked no more then 5 times then I stopped. I didn't start again till I was 19 years old, I smoked on my 20th birthday weekend.. Between the ages of 19 and 21 i smoked no more than 10 times so i have smoked around 15 times in my whole life. I am 21 now and I plan to pursue this career once I pick up my degree, I realized i wanted to be a cop when i turned 21, I decided that I was tired of being average and I want to do something with my life. I also don't want to sit behind a desk everyday for a living, I recently just found out that it doesn't matter if you have been clean recently. So im worried. I plan to start applying when im 23(thats when i should graduate college), and i will be completely honest with the department that i choose. Other then that I am completely clean in all other areas(records etc). I just don't know why i made the stupid mistake of smoking.. but at the time i wasn't too sure of where my life was going or what i wanted. But after some eye opening talks and events with significant others i want to do right by myself i hope its not too late. B/C this is what i really want i switched career fields twice since i was 18. I feel like this type of work can offer me the professional and personal growth that i want as i go through life.

Thanks for any advice or opinions

Back