Can I cancel my Rogers Contract if...?

m_m

Jun 24, 2008
Sorry for the rant.
I just recently signed a 3-year Rogers Contract. I realize that the phone and plan that I bought was too expensive for a student, so I would like to cancel if possible. Here's the story.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy-S outright from a secondary source. The reason for buying my phone outright was so that I wouldn't have to go under a contract. So I registered that phone with a Rogers plan under no contract, which provided me with:
- 150 calling minutes (unltd. evenings & weekends 9pm-7am)
- 1gb data
- unltd. text
- call display.
The total came to roughly $86/mo.

I ended up finding a better deal over at Virgin Mobile (no contract):
- 200 anytime minutes (unltd. evenings & weekends 6pm-7am, and unltd. calling to 10 numbers)
- 1gb data
- unltd. text
- call display
The total came to roughly $63/mo.

So I called Rogers and asked how much it would be to cancel (apparently they need 30 days notice, which I was never told about). After about an hour of talking to a CS Rep, I ended up getting a pretty similar deal that only cost $2 more than the Virgin deal, but had:
- 300 anytime minutes (unltd. evenings & weekends 6pm-7am, and unltd. calling to 5 numbers)
- 1gb data
- unltd. text
- call display
- hardware upgrade (which I was told I could sell to make up for buying my phone outright)
The only downfall I have had is that they wanted me to sign a 3-year contract. The total came to roughly $65/mo.

The only reason I accepted was because I got 100 more calling minutes than with Virgin.
The CS Rep that I was speaking to told me that if I checked my bill online, it would show my bill being much higher than the $65 promised, but to not worry...it would be $65 because of a note that she left on my account.

So a few days after accepting, I check my online profile, and see all of the changes that were made. It said that instead of 300 minutes, I have 200 minutes. It also says that I have a $12 addon pack, that I never asked for. It also says that I have Ringbacks (plays music instead of a ring tone for people that call me), which I asked her to remove.

Also, now that I think about it, I almost know for a FACT that they will overcharge me, because it's a computer that sends out the bills, not a person that's going to read my bill and see a note, and Rogers is known to overcharge people with these kinds of changes to their accounts.

One more thing is that the guy that originally set up my no-contract plan read me a sort of Terms-of-Agreement, basically stating that I gave Rogers permission to gather and share information about my payments and credit information. The woman that set me up with the 3-year contract never so much as read me anything relating to ANY contracts. Nothing about cancellation fees, nothing about making payments. She never asked me to agree to anything.

Because I only started the contract less than a week ago, because I was never asked to agree to any 3-year contract terms, and because they're already not holding up their end of the deal (by not providing me with the promised amount of daytime/anytime minutes), would this be enough to cancel the contract without fee?

Back