Buying a Bluetooth - what should I be looking for? how to decide which one to buy?

iaveter

Jan 15, 2009
Hi, I would advise you to look for the following features:
1) Sound Quality. Clear and strong sound quality is a must, as is volume control, to help with a weak connection. One key feature to look for with a Bluetooth headset is Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Technology. DSP allows headset speakers to compensate for background noise by increasing the listening volume level automatically.
2) Comfort. If the device has an earhook, make sure that it fits comfortably around your ear. If it has a boom, some of them have a size-option that can make them more suitable to fit. The least comfortable option is the "in the ear" headset, but its higher sound quality and clarity can make it a good option if you don’t mind the positioning.
3) Pairing. Device pairing is the ability of a Bluetooth headset to search for and recognize another device, like you phone, printer or music device. A Bluetooth headset should be able to find and function with up to seven devices.
4) Range of Use. The headset should have an unobstructed range of at least 10 meters (about thirty feet) – which is standard for Bluetooth Class 2 devices. You can verify this range by using the headset in obstructed and unobstructed distances from the phone or wireless device so you are sure of its capabilities.
5) Ease of Use. Is there voice-activation for hands-free use? Can all or most of the functions be managed this way? Making sure that the device can be used hands-free keeps you out of danger of many states no-cell-phone laws while driving.

6) Price. Price can range anywhere from about $20 up to almost $200. In many cases, the higher the price means the higher the quality and better functionality, but it’s not necessary to go straight to the top in cost. Keeping your cost between $65 and $100 will provide a device that will offer good quality with solid functions.

7) Battery. A common complaint among Bluetooth headset users is lack of battery life.
Look for 8 hours of talk or play-time, up to 100 hours when idle.
How does it charge and how long does charging take?

8) Compatibility. Should comply with at least Bluetooth 1.1 technology.
1.2 is becoming more common. This version helps to eliminate radio frequency interference with a frequency hopping option for better security.
Version 2.0 has been introduced with some devices and goes a step further with faster transmission speeds and lower battery consumption.
9) Functionality. Functions should be accessible through either voice –activation or hands-on-maintenance. Some functions to look for are:
Last number redial
Voice dialing
Transfer call to or from phone
3-Way Calling
Mute
Volume control

10) Style. Last but not at all least is the style of the device. There are two major categories for current Bluetooth headsets – boom or no boom. A boom is a mouth-piece attachment that looks like something an operator would wear.
Boom options – While they can be heavier and bulky, they offer higher clarity.
Non-boom options can either be "in the ear" headsets (less comfortable but more secure) or headsets that are worn around the ear via a folding clip.

Keep in mind that Bluetooth technology is constantly evolving. Making sure that the device you choose is compatible with the optimal amount of Bluetooth versions and devices, allowing for better value for the future.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

THANKS.
WOW! Great Input! Thanks! I printed the information you provided and will take it with me to the store :) Regards, Neil

Back