Brewers unveil Bob Uecker statue located in the last row of Miller Park

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
The Milwaukee Brewers honored Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Uecker with his second statue at Miller Park prior to their battle against the Chicago Cubs on Friday night. That alone is unique, as one clearly visible statue in one location is often enough to sufficiently pay tribute to an honoree, whether it be a baseball player or president.
However, the second statue does have its own unique twist that’s befitting on the man they’re honoring: It’s not clearly visible.
To see the new statue, fans have to venture to the very top of Miller Park and find the last row of Section 422 behind home plate, which is further away from the playing field than any other seating location in the stadium.
As we can see in this Milwaukee Brewers photo, it's well worth the trip.
The #Uecker statue is unveiled! Next time you are here, take a pic w/ Bob & tweet it using #IMustBeInTheFrontRow! pic.twitter.com/GISosr5joc
— Milwaukee Brewers (@Brewers) April 25, 2014
The location is an obvious nod to*Uecker’s famous "“I must be in the front row” Miller Lite commercial where he's redirected to the upper deck, or the "Uecker Seats" as they soon were affectionately annointed.*

''The Miller Lite years were one of the most unbelievable times I've ever had, working with hall of famers from their respective sports, Uecker said. ''To put together that series of commercials, to this day they were the best that were ever made.''​
The first statue, which was unveiled in September of 2012, is located outside the stadium on the home-plate plaza. A standard location for statues that stand outside MLB stadiums. The new statue is not only inside, it's uniquely interactive in that fans can sit right there and get a photo, almost as if they were sitting next to Uecker himself and swapping a few baseball stories.
How cool is that?*
''When I first heard about the project, I turned it down,'' Uecker said. ''I was under the impression that they wanted me to work from up there.''​
201404251417514784932-p5.jpg
No worries, Mr. Uecker. You can stay comfortable in the WTMJ radio booth with perhaps the best seat in the house while fans fight for a chance to sit in the worst seat.*
You can't help but laugh at how ridiculous that would sound if you didn't know the man who was being honored or the reasons why his city loves him so much. Bob Uecker truly is a one-of-a-kind announcer and human being befitting of a one-of-a-kind statue.*
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Townsend75Mug.jpg
Mark Townsend
is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813

Back