Any way to skip buying an Audio Tuner for my Home Theater?

ryan_williams_email

Jan 30, 2011
I just got a new HDTV, and a TiVo Premiere to go along with it. I also have a region-free DVD player. I'm looking to buy a set of Surround-sound Speakers. My family like and know how to use the TiVo remote. I would hate to get a speaker system and hook it up in a way that requires they lean to turn on a new device and route inputs with an additional remote (I'm sure I'll regularly get called from across the house to "fix" it because it's "broken again").

Is there an easy way to simply configure a system to take whatever signal is already at the TV and send it to the 5.1 speaker system "automatically"? And if so, do I still have to get a tuner to power the speakers -- or is there a cheaper option?

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
First, thanks for the responses so far. Some clarification:

1) I think I got "Tuner" and "Receiver" mixed up. I should have been saying "receiver" above.
2) It is *very* important that my family be able to: Turn on TV, Change Channels, Play TiVo, AND adjust Volume with the TiVo remote. If we need a different remote involved with any of those functions, it will be perceived that I "wasted money on a speaker system that doesn't work right". I know that's unfair, but them's the breaks. Sometimes you gotta compromise as a husband & father -- and they'd just assume listen to to TV speakers (ack!).
...if it helps, I just checked and do have a single audio output jack on the back of my TV. It's labeled "optical digital" and appears to take a cord like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-27017-Velocity-Toslink/dp/B0002JFN1K/ref=pd_sim_e_6

Back