A few questions about Car Audio/EQ/etc?

Taylor

May 11, 2008
I have a stereo in my truck that is only 1-2 years old, and I just installed some new Sony speakers that I really like, but I don't know how to adjust the EQ very well or what HZ I need to set the low/mid/highs to, along with the subwoofer setting on the head unit(Note: I do not have an actual sub or amp).
My stereo is the Pioneer DEH-P6100BT. The EQ has low/mid/high, each go from 0 to 6. The speakers have good highs, decent Mids, and not very good Lows, so I was going to set the EQ to something like, High: +2, Mid: +4, Low: +5. It sounds good, but I also need to know what HZ to set them to. This is the range for each EQ (all in Hz):
High: 3K - 8K - 10K - 12K
Mid: 200 - 500 - 1K - 2K
Low: 40 - 80 - 100 - 160
I have it set to High: 10K, Mid: 1K, Low 80, and it sounds pretty good. Is this about right? I know it can sound different in dif cars/etc but I'm just asking if it sounds correct in general. B/c I don't know hardly anything about EQ and HZ...
I was also wondering... When adjusting the car audio/EQ the head unit also has a thing where you can turn on/off the "subwoofer" (even tho I don't have a sub) and change it's Hz ranging from 50 - 63 - 80 - 100 - 125. I assumed this would just effect the speakers and change the Lows a little bit, or is this only used when you have an actual subwoofer in your car?

My Pioneer head unit also has a "Fine-Adjust Equalizer Curve"
I don't really know what this does, I have an idea but Im not sure if im right, and I cant really explain it well on here. In the manual it shows a graph: Left side of graph is Level(dB) and the bottom side is Frequency (Hz). Basically what it shows is, at the Center Frequency, if you have it set to Q=2N, the "hill",(The line on the graph goes up then comes back down; looks like a hill) is much sharper, and with it set to Q=2W, the "Hill" is more rounded and wider. Can anyone explain this to me better, and possibly what I should set it to?

Type of music I listen to:
I listen to anything from Country to Rock and Hard Rock. I listen to a tiny bit of metal, but would prefer settings made for Rock/Hard Rock. As for the "Low" setting to give my speakers better bass, I just want a good sounding system. I don't need something to shake/rattle the doors/windows...

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Back