96 dodge intrepid - Why is smoke coming from the exhaust manifold...

Bejeezus

Nov 16, 2011
...sometimes and not all the time? Since the last couple of weeks, I've noticed smoke coming from under the hood of the car. Sometimes there is a bit of smoke and other times there is not. At first I thought maybe my car was over heating, but none of my indicators came on neither has the thermostat register hot temps. Actually the needle of temperature gauge actually sits usually one notch above cool while driving and doesn't go above that. I checked the coolant. I noticed the coolant tank looked empty so I bought some coolant and poor it inside and then turned on the car and it started spewing antifreeze out of the overflow tube so I guess I either put too much or either it didn't need any at all. So I guess it's safe to say that I don't have any overheating/coolant problems. After driving it for ten minutes today, I pulled over, popped hood and notice smoke and a burning smell coming from the exhaust manifold pipe near the engine and then I drove it for another ten minutes and the smoke stopped and no more smell.

Back