2001 Mazda Protege ES 2.0 on it's third tranny in 10k miles!?

Aarons92Maro

Mar 4, 2011
So I bought this very nice bright silver Mazda Protege ES 2.0 last winter. Had 100.5k miles on it. Dealer was asking almost $10,000 for it, but I got it down to 5k with a trade in and some negotiations. It is a gorgeous car, silver, black suede looking seats and interior, all in perfect condition, white gauges, everything lights up red, all power options, the nice Mazda alloys, the factory spoiler, and fog lights, key less entry, it's a sweet ride! But it's an automatic :( When I bought it, I was having a lot of fun with it, it was a really quick car for a 4-banger! I'd peel the tires out, shift it around, do what kids do... well the tranny started slipping very badly in every gear, and I took it back to the dealership, and they replaced it, I had only put around 800 miles on it since I had gotten it. Got it back, they put a used tranny with 60k miles on it in, still drove it pretty spirited, but it went out a few months later, even when I wasn't beating on it, no neutral drops, didn't mess around with the transmission, nothing. I got another transmission with 20k miles put in it. Drove it a few thousand miles, now this one is slipping bad going into second. What the hell!!! I've put 10k on it, I love the car, but it eats transmissions up quick! I have had 3 Mazda's now, everyone had tranny issues, I know they have bad transmissions that overheat from the factory. I have also heard that the 2.0's are notorious for eating transmissions because Mazda used pretty weak transmissions in them. Why is this car eating up transmissions so quickly? I have driven every other car I've owned MUCH harder and have never had to replace a transmission. I've used several bottles of "Stop Slip" Lucas in it, and it's not helping it much :( It's got 112k miles on it now, and will be getting another transmission.

Back